• In total there are 28 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What do you people think?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

What do you people think?

Unread post

Hello, booktalk pipz!

I just wanted to know what each of you think about books that contain homosexual relationships or books that discuss homosexuality or fiction books where some characters are homosexuals. :hmm:

I thought it would be a interesting topic since one of my favorite books is Hero by Perry Moore.

Here's the link if you wanna know what it's about. It's a nice book and the chief protagonist is gay. But he's a really awesome character.

http://perrymoorestories.com/content/hero.asp?id=praise

Besides, I'm curious as to how people see this "side" of life portrayed in books.
:clap:
kal
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I haven't really thought about that much, but I think a good book is always a good book. I don't know if people tend enjoy books more when they can closely identify with the protagonists, but that doesn't seem to be the case with me. I'm a woman, but I don't look for or particularly like books that are supposed to focus on mainly female experiences. On the other hand, I'm not gay, but I loved Allan Hollinghurst's "The line of beauty". I think some other of his books are also thought to be very good, like "The swimming pool library".
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

One of my favorite characters was Vanyel from Magic's Promise/Pawn/Price trilogy. His being gay added a dynamic to the story, it was interesting.
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

Interbane wrote:One of my favorite characters was Vanyel from Magic's Promise/Pawn/Price trilogy. His being gay added a dynamic to the story, it was interesting.
is the trilogy a fantasy? it would be real cool if it was. :laugh: most fantasy, adventure books rarely have homosexual characters. i guess it's because the audience is mostly is kids, but for the high fantasy and wickedly good books, such issues should not be suppressed. :?
GreyIxia
Freshman

Unread post

That only book I know of that includes a homosexual is City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare and I'm currently reading it. I don't think that it matters much but in the book I'm reading he keeps it hushed because not many of they're kind think it's acceptable.
"The world has caught on fire, from what I've been told." - Picture Perfect (In Your Eyes) by 10 Years

"Innocence is ugly in the one who is guilty." - Fault Line by 10 Years

"Fools who are looking backwards chose to live as statues, frozen fractured; youthful laughter fades." - Dying Youth by 10 Years

The Truth Beneath The Rose by Within Temptation
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

uod_sa_libro wrote:
Interbane wrote:One of my favorite characters was Vanyel from Magic's Promise/Pawn/Price trilogy. His being gay added a dynamic to the story, it was interesting.
is the trilogy a fantasy? it would be real cool if it was. :laugh: most fantasy, adventure books rarely have homosexual characters. i guess it's because the audience is mostly is kids, but for the high fantasy and wickedly good books, such issues should not be suppressed. :?
The trilogy is fantasy, and it was written by Mercedes Lackey. I have to agree that Vanyel is an awesome character, and his well written homosexuality only added to the story.
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac
Lawrence

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Senior

The mindlessness of this topic

Unread post

The mindlessness of this topic lies in the belief that the complex human condition can be redacted into either male or female based on genitalia. I recommend you read "Man Woman Boy Girl by Dr. Money a pediatric gynecologist whose job for 25 years at the Boston General Hospital was to try to figure out "what" an infant with a male torso and female genitalia should be plumbed to become. His book is his heart wrenching account of how many of his patients came to him 20 years later saying they were a girl in a man's body or vice versa. Dealing with this subject as you are describing is topical relying on the historical, religious dogma of the past which because of male dominance redacted the human condition into male and female based on genitalia.

Check out the "mindless posts" and maybe have some fun. L
GreyIxia
Freshman

Re: The mindlessness of this topic

Unread post

Lawrence wrote:The mindlessness of this topic lies in the belief that the complex human condition can be redacted into either male or female based on genitalia. I recommend you read "Man Woman Boy Girl by Dr. Money a pediatric gynecologist whose job for 25 years at the Boston General Hospital was to try to figure out "what" an infant with a male torso and female genitalia should be plumbed to become. His book is his heart wrenching account of how many of his patients came to him 20 years later saying they were a girl in a man's body or vice versa. Dealing with this subject as you are describing is topical relying on the historical, religious dogma of the past which because of male dominance redacted the human condition into male and female based on genitalia.

Check out the "mindless posts" and maybe have some fun. L
Um... why did you post this 4 times...?

In my opinion, the homosexual characters define the book. I think that including homosexuality in books, and saying that it's not a bad thing is a good way to make real life homosexuals feel better about themselves. Though it does seem like authors always make them guys instead of girls.
"The world has caught on fire, from what I've been told." - Picture Perfect (In Your Eyes) by 10 Years

"Innocence is ugly in the one who is guilty." - Fault Line by 10 Years

"Fools who are looking backwards chose to live as statues, frozen fractured; youthful laughter fades." - Dying Youth by 10 Years

The Truth Beneath The Rose by Within Temptation
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Re: The mindlessness of this topic

Unread post

Lawrence wrote:The mindlessness of this topic lies in the belief that the complex human condition can be redacted into either male or female based on genitalia.
:? I don't think you can call this topic "mindless" because we discuss what people think. And that's why we discuss this because some people do believe that "the complex human condition can be redacted into either male or female based on genitalia."
I recommend you read "Man Woman Boy Girl" by Dr. Money Dealing with this subject as you are describing is topical relying on the historical, religious dogma of the past which because of male dominance redacted the human condition into male and female based on genitalia.
Anyway, yeah, I'll check that book out....
:smile: :smile:
The Ritzy

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book Nut

Unread post

I'm in a Gay Lit course and I like looking at the novels assigned in context to the time they were written. Such as Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin. There's not a lot of details describing intimacy between David and Giovanni. This is less because Baldwin wanted it so then because the publisher asked him to make it less graphic. And, from the presentation in class, there was hardly anything graphic in the first draft.

However, if you're asking whether gay romance stories interest or disinterest me more than straight romance stories, I have to say not really. I like any good story between two people. If it's complicated, witty, and all-around good writing, then it's being gay or straight has no consequence to me.

Return to “Everything Else”