• In total there are 33 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Historical Fiction

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Kristin2477
Getting Comfortable

Historical Fiction

Unread post

This is, right now, my favorite genre of novel. While I love the classics (I've read everything Fitzgerald, Hemingway and Dos Passos ever published, as well as others), right now I'm looking for some brain numbing fun. There are many authors writing this type of fiction right now. I'm on break from school, and the first thing I did was go to Amazon and put all the books I missed reading while the semester was on, and ordered them. In the last month and a half, I have read 9 books. Whew. But, really, I can't stop, and they're all such page turners. The best authors for this genre, in my opinion are James Rollins, Steve Berry, Dan Brown, Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston.

If anyone wants to get into this genre and doesn't know where to start, feel free to ask!!
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

I think Caleb Carr's also an amazing author for historical fiction. I've read his The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness. :smile: I was very interested in forensic psychology and The Alienist and the Angel of Darkness (both featuring Theodore Roosevelt, the alienist Dr. Kriezler and his companions) were set in 1896 New York.

The trial (which featured a Clarence Darrow) in the Angel of Darkness was very interesting.
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Unread post

Phillippa Gregory is also nice.
If you obey all of the rules, you miss all of the fun.
--Katherine Hepburn
edelight
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I first got introduced to historical fiction in elementary school..a book by Ann Rinaldi, which sparked my interest in it from there. I think her books are good for the younger crowd.

Now, being older, I want to get back into reading historical fiction..I'm a bit out of the loop I suppose..any good reads you can suggest??

I've never heard of Lincoln Child....
booklover7809
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

For historical fiction fans I don't think you can go past Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky, I loved it, it's an absolute masterpiece - read my review:
http://bookloverbookreviews.blogspot.co ... ovsky.html

Cheers,
booklover7809
Bart
Devoted Member

Unread post

I rarely ever ready fiction. Right or worng, reading to me is suppose to teach you something and if you are entertained by it so much the better.

That said, the best book historical fiction I ever read was "The Source" by Michener (also known as "The Tell"), a fictionalized account of Israel and the evolution of religion from pre-historic Israel through to modern times (you know how Michener is about covering things back a few million years).

The second best book in this genre is "I, Claudius" by Graves, and the sequel "Claudius the God".

All three of these books rate 5 stars.
If you are interested in history, religion and life and political intrigue in Imperial Rome you can't beat these two books. Learning was never this exciting.

Bart
aka Dromedary Hump
http://theatheistcamelchronicles.blogspot.com/
Suzy Witten
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: Historical Fiction

Unread post

I invite everyone here to read my new book: THE AFFLICTED GIRLS A Novel of Salem by Suzy Witten (ISBN: 978-0-615-32313-8)
456 pages, A Paperback Original (also available as an eBook), Historical Fiction

This is a new theory of what happened in Salem Village in 1692 . . . and it isn't what anyone thinks.

(See my separate post with the book info or go to http://www.theafflictedgirls.com)

I look forward to discussing my story and research with all readers of historical fiction and with anyone else interested in this subject
Bart
Devoted Member

Unread post

Suzy,

I read A Delusion of Satan, by Frances Hill. Have you read that work by any chance? If so, you are saying that her analysis and premise is wrong, and that you have a completely different and until now unexplored perspective based on verifiable evidence? Interesting.

Before I invest in your book, how about a little insight as to your unique take on the Salem witch episode.

Thanks,
Bart
"Reason is the enemy of faith." -- Martin Luther

Reason can be found at the home of the Atheist Camel: http://atheistcamel.blogspot.com/
Suzy Witten
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Hi Bart,
Thanks for your interest. Yes, I can honestly say that no one has put this historical material together the way I have and painted the picture of this community that I am painting. Not only that, I also offer conclusive evidence of what actually triggered the afflictions at the center of the witch hunt, evidence which will stand up to scrutiny and which no historian has ever suspected. You could say that I'm the detective who has solved the crime. You won't ever look at Salem the same if you read my book. Of course I hope you do and post your impressions here afterward, and let everyone know how this 300 year old mystery is finally solved. Here is what one author/reviewer/blogger who read my manuscript wrote: "From the very first sentence, I was impressed with this book. The Afflicted Girls takes the familiar story of the Salem Village Witch Trials and gives it a chilling reality that will eclipse anything you have ever read or heard about. Even more than that, it is brilliantly written. Suzy Witten, a screenwriter, brings to this novel all of her skill at bringing the reader into a riveting visual tale." So if you're interested in Salem in 1692, Bart, THE AFFLICTED GIRLS A Novel of Salem is guaranteed to enlighten you, inspire you, and answer all of your unsettled questions with historical accuracy. Thanks again for your interest. I appreciate it. It took me more than 8 years to write this book so that I can now share this amazing story with everyone. (p.s. While I've likely read everything that Frances Hill read in conducting my own thorough research, my conclusions are stunningly different. And that's probably why Disney made my screenplay version of this story a Finalist for their Writing Fellowship back when.)
Suzy Witten
Bart
Devoted Member

Unread post

Suzy,
You have piqued my interest, and I will add your book to my list.
If you came to the conclusion that the base cause was either rye ergot poisoning, and/or a lesbian clique gone viral I'm going to be very disappointed :wink:

regards,
Bart
"Reason is the enemy of faith." -- Martin Luther

Reason can be found at the home of the Atheist Camel: http://atheistcamel.blogspot.com/

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”