• In total there are 15 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Meaning of Life

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Capitol punishment.

Everyone deserves a second chance. Maybe even a third and fourth chance.

Everyone, except those who have taken away someone else's FIRST chance.

Murderers, pedophiles, rapists, people who torture, or otherwise render their victims incapable of enjoying their first chance. Considering circumstances involved in any of these crimes, i am for the death sentence.

/engage rant

those who like mercy should look away.

You ever watch a horror movie where the bad guy is just a serial killer or something and there is sort of a hushed atmosphere of danger and power around that character? I call that bull-shit.

If you look into the matter much, serial killers murder in order to get off a nut. Plain and simple. They are weak, pathetic, broken people who lack power. They arent strong. If you caught one doing it's aweful business they would cover themselves, for fear of being discovered doing what they do. Not of going to jail, but just to be seen being pathetic and loathesome.

Nobody is born a serial killer. Serial killers are crafted out of abuse, that is clear. It is terrible that they had to go through what they did, and the world should have taken care of them, rather than let the innocent child of monsters become an evern worse monster as an adult. Society has failed serial killers. I understand that. Once they cross that line though. Once they go and take someone else's first chance, then they need to die.

They will never fit into normal society. they are wrecked beyond repair and all they can do is damage those around them. It is better for all concerned if they are destroyed.

/ end rant.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
CWT36
Sophomore

Unread post

Johnson -

I agree with everything you say. If someone hurt any one of my girls I'd be the first one screaming for their termination, plain and simple.

But there are just too many flaws in our legal system now to be sentencing people to death. Through DNA testing that didn't exist at the time of their trial we are finding a fair amount of people on death row are truly innocent of the crime that put them there. Given that, there is no doubt that we have sentenced to death any number of innocent people.

For me, I like how the death penalty makes me feel (that sounds pretty creepy, eh?). What I mean is that emotionally I would feel better if we eliminated these monsters who molest and kill children, or who torture their victims. Kill 'em. Sounds right to me.

However, we are killing some innocent people too. It is also not clear that the death penalty is any more of a deterrent than life in prison and, due to legal costs, we spend more to execute someone than we do keeping them in jail for the rest of their lives. Except for the emotional gratification that it provides to the family and to the community, there seems little use in doing it.
-Colin

"Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." -Mark Twain
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

you are right.

where there is even a modest doubt, the death penalty cannot be involved.

however...

http://www.hockey-fights.com/forum/show ... d43bc05c1/
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

CWT36 said:

But there are just too many flaws in our legal system now to be sentencing people to death. Through DNA testing that didn't exist at the time of their trial we are finding a fair amount of people on death row are truly innocent of the crime that put them there. Given that, there is no doubt that we have sentenced to death any number of innocent people.
Of course you are right. We don't have the death penalty in this country and so I suppose I was just having a 'safe' rant. But you are correct.

The same goes for euthanasia......it sounds like a very good idea until you imagine old people, having become dependent and a nuisance, being leaned on.....grim thought.

Of course, eliminating the death penalty from the equation, brings into question 'the right to bear arms' doesn't it?

We, in this country are not allowed to carry what might be construed as an offensive weapon, unless it is certified for our work or occupation.

However, the number of shootings and knife crimes is growing daily here. We also have unofficial police no-go areas in some of our cities.:(
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Nadeen
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hello Nadeen- I am very pleased to meet you.
Me too I am pleased to join this forum and to meet all of you.
Life is obviously not considered sacred in all cases. What about the lives of animals in laboratories, being used for experiments as though they were just non-sentient.
I believe we can not equate humans with animals. Human life is much more sacred and precious. This doesnot mean not to treat animals gently.
Humans are honored with the blessing of reason. Everything in this universe is geared to serve man.
If I want to examine the efficiency of a certain drug, it is impossible to go and examine it on human, but we can use the mice to perform the experiment. Everything in this universe was created to help us live a better life and to use it to make us better people.

What about people being used as slaves - and apparently there is more slavery in the world today than there ever was at other times in history

No one may play the role of a master since all of us are slaves to the creator.

Do you think it is just our consciousness that we consider sacred? If a person is brain-dead, we agree to switch off the life-support, even though we might love that person dearly. So it isn't merely life, it is awareness, perhaps?
I will be back to answer this question.
I hope what I wrote makes sense.
Thank you
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Nadeen said:

If I want to examine the efficiency of a certain drug, it is impossible to go and examine it on human, but we can use the mice to perform the experiment.
Dear Nadeen, your English is really very good indeed. I do disagree with you though. If we want to examine the efficiency of a certain drug which might help to relieve the suffering of humanity, then it should be tested on humanity.

I don't think there is ever any excuse for cruelty.....whether there is a belief in God or no God.....

I also believe that we know what is cruel....we don't have to be given instructions.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Dear Nadeen, your English is really very good indeed. I do disagree with you though. If we want to examine the efficiency of a certain drug which might help to relieve the suffering of humanity, then it should be tested on humanity.

I don't think there is ever any excuse for cruelty.....whether there is a belief in God or no God.....

I also believe that we know what is cruel....we don't have to be given instructions.
Cruelty is specified by both the people who hear it or see it, as well as the person who speaks it or does it.

Cruelty is an infinately justifiable word. It can be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. For example, one of the things I consider cruel is profanity, or violence in any way, no matter how small it is.

My question is, when you say cruelty, what do you mean by "cruelty?" What are your parameters for cruel and what would push you over the edge if someone were to do something you consider cruel?

Sorry for the mixed-up language, my point is, cruelty can be defined in different ways, and those different ways can be defined by that specific person's acceptance of certain things, as well as how short their temper and ability to cope with things.
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Iluvbookz wrote:

My question is, when you say cruelty, what do you mean by "cruelty?" What are your parameters for cruel and what would push you over the edge if someone were to do something you consider cruel?
Cruelty is deliberately inflicting pain.

They are not 'my' parameters.

I can be thoughtless, and I can be unkind......but not intentionally...

Nature is cruel and often brutal but a human being is self-aware and human life is meaningless if we don't strive towards some sort of nobility.....Well....that's my opinion.

I don't know what would push me over the edge, as I don't know to what edge you are referring.

Rafael Sabatini
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

Penelope wrote: Cruelty is deliberately inflicting pain.

They are not 'my' parameters.

I can be thoughtless, and I can be unkind......but not intentionally...

Nature is cruel and often brutal but a human being is self-aware and human life is meaningless if we don't strive towards some sort of nobility.....Well....that's my opinion.
True that is :). However, my point is, I think {:hmm:}, that people determine their definition of cruelty.
Penelope's Opinion wrote:Nature is cruel and often brutal but a human being is self-aware and human life is meaningless if we don't strive towards some sort of nobility.....Well....that's my opinion.
Nature is cruel and brutal. Not much else I can say :?
Penelope wrote:I don't know what would push me over the edge, as I don't know to what edge you are referring.
Over your "emotional capacity". That ties in with your definitions of cruelty, what I mean by pushing you over the edge is basically how much cruelty you can take before you lose yourself and engulf in rage. Going over the emotional edge is, in my opinion, losing your cool :)
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Iluv wrote:
that people determine their definition of cruelty.
I think cruel is just cruel - doesn't need defining....if you deliberately cause another creature pain for no good reason.....then it's cruel.
I have a dear Chinese lady friend who grew up in a very poverty stricken part of rural China. She has known hunger and starvation, so she is now married to an English man and lives here and keeps chickens. We had to persuade her that it wasn't right to keep chickens in a cardboard box in the kitchen and we built her a chicken coop and run in the garden (for the chickens, not for her :oops: ). She looked at us in amazement.....that we should care about the rights of chickens. Now I don't blame her for not considering the chickens' feelings, as I haven't known hunger as she has, never-the-less, it is still cruel. Cruel is still cruel and I think we have to stand our ground and say so.....without seeming too judgemental, that is.
what I mean by pushing you over the edge is basically how much cruelty you can take before you lose yourself and engulf in rage. Going over the emotional edge is, in my opinion, losing your cool
I don't think I have ever been engulfed in rage. I loose my cool and become emotional.... I cry. How lightweight is that? I must say that practising yoga has helped me a lot in keeping my cool. But I never did have a hot temper. I often think it's because I don't care enough... :hmm:

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”