• In total there are 23 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Supernatural belief correlates with finger length ratio

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Supernatural belief correlates with finger length ratio

Unread post

File this under "huh!"

"A recent study of over a thousand Austrian men and women found that a correlation between the digit ration and supernatural belief. Martin Voracek, a psychologist at the University of Vienna, found that the ratio of length of the ring finger to the index finger predicted belief. Voracek found that “higher feminized” digit ratio in men correlated with stronger paranormal and superstitious beliefs, even when controlled for age, education, adult height and weight, and birth length and weight.

Check out Bruce Hood's blog brucemhood.wordpress.com/2009/12/11/woo ... -the-womb/.

Consistent with this study, my ring finger is longer than my index finger by a good half inch.
-Geo
Question everything
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Re: Supernatural belief correlates with finger length ratio

Unread post

Interesting but absolutley bizarre! Leave it to the Austrians (be aware when reading this statement that there is traditional competition between Austrians and Germans, much like between the South and the North of the US) :).
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

oblivion wrote:Interesting but absolutley bizarre! Leave it to the Austrians (be aware when reading this statement that there is traditional competition between Austrians and Germans, much like between the South and the North of the US) :).
It is bizarre. I wonder if the tendency to be less superstitious in males (or tendency to be more superstitious in females) is somewhat culture-driven. A macho man is taught not to believe in the supernatural, but a "girly" man (use Austrian accent a la Saturday Night Live) may be more resistant to such cultural pressures?
-Geo
Question everything
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I personally think that levels of independence have a lot to do with accepting supernatural beliefs, god and all of that... after all if you are capable of doing for yourself... even adapting yourself to become better than you were and succeeding at all that you strive for... where is the need to wish or prey for someone else to do it for you?

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

Frank 013 wrote:I personally think that levels of independence have a lot to do with accepting supernatural beliefs, god and all of that... after all if you are capable of doing for yourself... even adapting yourself to become better than you were and succeeding at all that you strive for... where is the need to wish or prey for someone else to do it for you?

Later
Hello Frank,

I think this is definitely true. Internal locus of control versus external locus of control. But the human brain also has the ability to "believe" contradicting things at the same time. I could name baseball players who work their butts off, training, working out, etc. and becoming successful through their own hard work. They would seem to have a very internal locus of control, but when questioned would say it's god making it all happen. This is probably an unexamined belief and instinctively they know their success hinges on their own hard work.
-Geo
Question everything
weaver
Gaining experience

Unread post

Definitely weird. But, can't enviromental influence be a stronger indicator. Would be interesting to do this as a twin study; separated at birth into very different religious/non-religious households.
ktsetsi
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

geo wrote:
Consistent with this study, my ring finger is longer than my index finger by a good half inch.
Hmmm...my ring finger is only slightly shorter than my index finger (on my right hand; on the left, they're almost equal). And my "beliefs" are scattered, inconsistent, and unreliable, at best. I guess that would make sense, though.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

ktsetsi wrote:
geo wrote:
Hmmm...my ring finger is only slightly shorter than my index finger (on my right hand; on the left, they're almost equal). And my "beliefs" are scattered, inconsistent, and unreliable, at best. I guess that would make sense, though.
The ratio between my ring and index fingers is shorter on my left than my right too. I guess this means the right side of my body is less superstitious than my left. :lol:
-Geo
Question everything
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

Hi Frank- My guess is that those that lean on supernatural belief probably need it for deeper existential issues, even if they are reasonably competent in day to day life.

Anyway, I think we should certainly hold up our index fingers for those that engage in junk science!
"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose"
— JBS Haldane

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”