• In total there are 163 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 163 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What was your college major?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
weaver
Gaining experience

Re: What was your college major?

Unread post

Bleachededen: Majored in psychology because of a fascination with physiological psyc and since organic chemistry seemed daunting (friends struggling who were super smart), did not pursue going into neurology. Also, as you can see from this run-on sentence, I would not have been a candidate for English major :) Have you thought of going this route?

To Hmrush: Yes, you're on the right track to go straight through the PhD program. Have two friends who were in ivy league programs and decided to start a career while still working on thesis and could not finish. You're also astute in realizing us Baby Boomers are ready to retire enmasse and you'll be poised to have a pick of jobs.
thomaspatrick
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Bachelors law enforcement with minor in sociology. Associates in satellite communications and associates in microsoft computers... WoW when u write it all down like that, kinda makes me look like a school geek! And would i change any of it? Id have 2 say that its probably not in my top 10 big changes I would seek if I had 2 do it all again, so no kinda :wink:
Thomas...
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

weaver wrote:Bleachededen: Majored in psychology because of a fascination with physiological psyc and since organic chemistry seemed daunting (friends struggling who were super smart), did not pursue going into neurology. Also, as you can see from this run-on sentence, I would not have been a candidate for English major :) Have you thought of going this route?
I'm considering getting an associate's in Accounting, since my English major isn't really paying off, and if the math in accounting is general math and I'd have a calculator, I figure my OCD and anal retentive attention to detail would lend themselves well to bookkeeping, which seems to be in high demand (at least higher demand than creative writing or literary knowledge).
Gigila
Official Newbie!

Unread post

B.A in Social science with psychology and global studies minors
M.S.W. in Social Work
weaver
Gaining experience

Unread post

Bleacheden:
Attention to detail is also a prerequisite for library science. I know two really excellent reference librarians and they are have been saviors to my research as library science now extends to a world-wide network.

Am pleased to see this next generation really putting education first. That sounds trite, am sure you've all heard the education lectures, but, it's so true. Good luck to all of you in your pursuits. Just suggest everyone learn Mandarin :)
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

BA in psychology. About the only concrete reward I have seen for my efforts so far is that I can get my dog to eat his kibble by pretending I am eating it first, and enjoying it.

I think the university experience is worth it though, if it imparts critical thinking skills, and instills the idea that learning is a life long pursuit, and that those years of study are just a head start for that endeavor.

If I had to do it again? I think I would go one of two ways. Either I would take something that would have been more of an income generator, like accounting perhaps; or gone the other way and just followed an abstract interest, like history, and drifted even further off into the ether. Just speculation of course, because we are not the same people we were even a few years ago, and so our choices are inevitably different.
"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose"
— JBS Haldane
ennylnire87
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I majored in literature with an unofficial minor in music. (I'm one credit shy of a music minor; I can read music like I read books--hearing the sounds in my head like the voices of the characters...is that so strange)?
-Erin
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

ennylnire87 wrote:I majored in literature with an unofficial minor in music. (I'm one credit shy of a music minor; I can read music like I read books--hearing the sounds in my head like the voices of the characters...is that so strange)?
Not strange at all -- I was brought up as a musician and an avid reader, so I completely understand what you mean when you say you can hear the sounds like the voices of characters when you read music. I call music my second language, because I learned to read and play music as I was also learning to read English, and I, too, can read it as well as I can read novels or poetry (especially poetry). Playing the music would be a different story, as I'm a bit out of practice on all the instruments I play, but reading it I can do easily. ;)

It's good to have another literary musician on the board. There are some posts in the Musicophilia forum that are unrelated to the book but good discussions about music in general that I definitely think you would find intriguing and I'd love to hear your thoughts on some of those topics.

Knowing music as well as I (and I assume you) do, can you also instantly feel the rhythm and flow of words like the beats of a measure and melodies and harmonies in descriptions and dialogues? I always do, and I've always wondered if anyone else thinks this way about words in literature or if it's just me. I hope it's not just me...
Wine and Books
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Majored in accounting, a Masters in Taxation, and am a practicing CPA. (this was all 20+ years ago) In the past few years I have received a Maters in Humanities and am currently working on a Masters in Latin American Studies. Literature and languages have always been a passion but did not want to ruin it with academia.

Mmmmmm, I feel like a bit of an anomaly here!
A good book is only made better with a glass of wine........
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Electronic imaging, focus on computer generated 3-D imaging.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Return to “Everything Else”