• In total there are 23 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Greek History

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Greek History

Unread post

Geo got me started on Greek history by introducing me to The Will of Zeus by Stringfellow Barr. I've already read Herodotus and I've followed up Stringfellow's book with The Rise and Fall of Athens by Plutarch.

The next book I'd like to read is a fairly recently written book on Sparta. The book is called, you guessed it, Sparta by Michael Whitby.

http://www.amazon.com/Sparta-Michael-Wh ... 229&sr=8-3

It's pretty pricey by my standards. I usually get all my books for around two or three dollars used. This one is over 25.

The next book I plan to read is Thucydides history on the Peloponnesian War. After that it will be Plutarch's On Sparta.

After that I'll be ready to progress into Alexander the Great's reign. I'm really interested more in that period than this one but it's still very interesting!

Let me know if you're interested in reading with me or if you have any other book suggestions concerning this time period. I'm going to make my way up through history! =D
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Re: Greek History

Unread post

Earlier this year I read Persian Fire by Tom Holland. A very engrossing read. It is amazing when one contemplates how Western Civilization may have been so radically different if a few battles during the Persian War had gone just a little differently.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:Geo got me started on Greek history by introducing me to The Will of Zeus by Stringfellow Barr. I've already read Herodotus and I've followed up Stringfellow's book with The Rise and Fall of Athens by Plutarch. The next book I'd like to read is a fairly recently written book on Sparta. The book is called, you guessed it, Sparta by Michael Whitby. http://www.amazon.com/Sparta-Michael-Wh ... 229&sr=8-3 It's pretty pricey by my standards. I usually get all my books for around two or three dollars used. This one is over 25. The next book I plan to read is Thucydides history on the Peloponnesian War. After that it will be Plutarch's On Sparta. After that I'll be ready to progress into Alexander the Great's reign. I'm really interested more in that period than this one but it's still very interesting! Let me know if you're interested in reading with me or if you have any other book suggestions concerning this time period. I'm going to make my way up through history! =D
btw - camacho is a character in Don Quixote.

Mary Regnault's series of fictional stories about the life of Alexander the Great, including The Persian Boy, is good. I enjoyed reading Bury, and also Thucydides and Arrian. I compare Athens to Europe and Sparta to Russia in my overall theory of history.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_ ... bliography
http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/a ... r_z1b.html
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I am everywhere MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!! ;)
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I'm just finishing up with Thucydides!

I think I need to give history a rest for a second. I'm a little burned out. I think I tried to take on too much again.

I don't know what I'll be reading next but I'm sure it won't be history.

Early Greek history is so interesting, I wonder why more people don't read about it. It's probably because there are some references here and there to homosexual relationships. This period of our history is amazingly captivating, though. People being fed their own sons, entire nations moved or wiped out, free men turned into slaves... it's great entertainment.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”