• In total there are 76 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 75 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Favorite character in literature?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ennylnire87
Getting Comfortable

Re: Favorite character in literature?

Unread post

who to choose, who to choose????!!!
perhaps the narrator from "the Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman....
perhaps Jonathan Strange from "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke...
there are so many more...
perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...
-Erin
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

I never really liked "The Yellow Wallpaper." It was always a requirement in American Literature and women's literature classes, and I just never saw what was so special about it. Not that I'm criticizing anyone else for liking it, I just personally never saw what was so great about it. To each their own, I guess.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Bil the galactic Hero: Harry Harrison

Though I am not sure if this series of books counts as literature?
kel
Official Newbie!

Unread post

nice to know that there's someone out there who likes Raskolnikoff
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

I have racked my brain to come up with a favorite! I must conclude that I cannot pick one.

However, for no reason that I can discern, the character that I am most intrigued with at this moment, is Meursault from The Stranger. He is so cold and detached, yet in a strange way I will go out on a limb and say he pure and innocent.

A close runner up was mentioned earler in the thread is Yossarian from Catch 22.
meliamom
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:I never really liked "The Yellow Wallpaper." It was always a requirement in American Literature and women's literature classes, and I just never saw what was so special about it. Not that I'm criticizing anyone else for liking it, I just personally never saw what was so great about it. To each their own, I guess.

"The Yellow Wallpaper" is one of my favorite stories. When viewed in light of the role of women in society, the story is really powerful. I had to write a paper analyzing the short story using Showalter's feminist criticism. At the end of the story the narrator goes crazy because she is unable to express herself to her husband and begins to interact with the wall paper. Good stuff!

As for my favorite character - so many to choose from, but one villain I LOVE is Madame Defarge from Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities .
papi_rico
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

So far my favorite character is Nicholas Linnear from Eric Van Lustbader's book "The Ninja"
justanumber
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I've got a very long list of them. To be honest I dont know where to start.
One of them is Lord Henry Wotton from "The Picture of Dorian Gray", because of his sarcasm
Last edited by justanumber on Sat May 29, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Else”