• In total there are 16 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Best fantasy/supernatural books?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
dangerousandmoving
Getting Comfortable

Best fantasy/supernatural books?

Unread post

I read a lot of fantasy/supernatural books and there are so many great, original stories out there. With fantasy/supernatural books I believe there really is no limit to the amount of great ideas that can be written, but I was just wondering, what are your favourite fantasy/supernatural books? 8)
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Re: Best fantasy/supernatural books?

Unread post

While I must admit that I have not read a lot in the genre, I love both the works of Edger Allen Poe as well as HP Lovecraft.

I particularly love the Cthulhu Mythos that Lovecraft created.
funnyduck84

Unread post

r u talking about like young adult fantasy books? if so, I know a lot... but if you're talking about adult fantasy books I know like, nothing
dangerousandmoving
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Emperorbjt wrote:While I must admit that I have not read a lot in the genre, I love both the works of Edger Allen Poe as well as HP Lovecraft.

Ah, I've heard of them, but I haven't ever read them
dangerousandmoving
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

funnyduck84 wrote:r u talking about like young adult fantasy books? if so, I know a lot... but if you're talking about adult fantasy books I know like, nothing
Any. I mostly read young adult fantasy books. I find them more interesting somehow, they seem more imaginative. Adult fantasy books always seem to have pointless adult themes that kind of ruin the fantasy/supernatural side of things, in my opinion.
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

dangerousandmoving wrote:
Emperorbjt wrote:While I must admit that I have not read a lot in the genre, I love both the works of Edger Allen Poe as well as HP Lovecraft.

Poe can be a little challenging when first approached. His writing style is a little awkward. He is well worth the effort if one sticks with him.

Lovecraft is a bit more accessible. A good compilation of his stories is a great way to start. Many of his stories revolve around an ancient group of aliens, who at times resemble demonic forces, that are reawakening and creating general problems and horror for mankind. This "Cthulhu Mythos" seems to me precursor to many modern stories and TV shows. I find that the old X - Files was heavily influenced by Lovecraft.
dangerousandmoving
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Emperorbjt wrote:
dangerousandmoving wrote:

Poe can be a little challenging when first approached. His writing style is a little awkward. He is well worth the effort if one sticks with him.

Lovecraft is a bit more accessible. A good compilation of his stories is a great way to start. Many of his stories revolve around an ancient group of aliens, who at times resemble demonic forces, that are reawakening and creating general problems and horror for mankind. This "Cthulhu Mythos" seems to me precursor to many modern stories and TV shows. I find that the old X - Files was heavily influenced by Lovecraft.
I see, sounds interesting. Not sure it's something I'd enjoy reading though
margie
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

There are so many authors out there writing for a younger and younger audience. I really enjoyed the wit of Vivian vandeVelde's Heir Apparent. And Garth Nix from Australia has an exquisite series starting with Sabriel. There is better storytelling in children's stories because they don't get bogged down in sex scenes.
MartinParish
Official Newbie!

Unread post

If one had to choose the single best fantasy novel of all time, I think it would almost undoubtedly be J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings...a book that's so good it's almost in a class by itself.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

...and yet it did not make the top 100 books....
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”