• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Steppenwolf

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Steppenwolf

Unread post

I just started reading Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf.

I have previously read Siddhartha and Journey to the East. I have found both of these works to be spiritually uplifting and they are among my favorite novels.

I have really high hopes for this one.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Re: Steppenwolf

Unread post

I've read this book as well, not my favorite of Hesse's but then it is hard to make meaningful comparisons, all his work's have merit. Siddhartha was concentrated where Steppenwolf may seem somewhat drawn, "Narcissus and Goldmund" would be my best recommendation in terms of what I found as the overall power of the narrative, and "The Prodigy" a close second. Any attempt of the "Glass Bead Game" is a worthy effort, but not something I have lived up to as yet.
Last edited by Grim on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Re: Steppenwolf

Unread post

I have just finished the book. My initial impression is that it is a work of brilliance. I actually found it to be spiritually uplifting.

There is so much to think about here, so many ideas both Eastern and Western are explored. Though sometimes presented a little awkwardly and heavy handed, these concepts and the way they interplay with each other, add up to a work of great depth.

I highly recommend this one.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”