• In total there are 85 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 84 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Looking for books that have the following?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Kiwi_LM
Getting Comfortable

Re: Looking for books that have the following?

Unread post

Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out :)
rainbells
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Shadow Castle by Marion Cockrell (I think that's how the last name is spelled) This is a young adult book, but it's a charming story that I still love to re-read from time to time. Also, how about Practical Magic? I can't remember who wrote that, (Alice Hoffman. maybe?). I don't remember any vine covered houses, but it was witchy. The Witches of Eastwick was witchy, also. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katharine Howe is a good one, too.
Kiwi_LM
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I love Practical Magic and The Witches of Eastwick! :D And thanks for the other book recommendations. I'll be sure to check them out. :)
Joad
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

You might want to check out "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly

The Book of Lost Things is a fiction novel by John Connolly. The book follows the story of young boy named David who struggles with his mother's death and father's remarriage. When a World War II bomber plane crashes into his garden, he ends up in the fantasy world of his books and must find the king in the hopes that he can return him to his home. The novel takes a different look at traditional fairy tales and follows every child's journey into adulthood. wikipedia

It's a nice quick read and is a cool twist on the Brothers Grimm's fairy tales.
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first make mad." -- P. H. Fawcett
Kiwi_LM
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thank you, Joad ^^
rainbells
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

I just thought of two more. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen is a cute book. And The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield is a GREAT book, spooky old house and all.
Kiwi_LM
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thanks for the other recommendations, rainbells. Funnily enough, in another forum, someone had also recommended The Thirteenth Tale when asked the same question. Thanks! ^^
strawberrybird
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

A few more young adult books you might try:
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull - When Kendra and Seth go to stay at their grandparents' estate, they discover that it is a sanctuary for magical creatures and that a battle between good and evil is looming.
Savvy by Ingrid Law - In Mibs Beaumont's family, all children get their savvy (magical power) at 13. To protect themselves, they keep their talents hidden from the world. Mibs is about to turn 13, but then her father gets in a terrible accident.

Of course, there's also the Narnia books.

You might also try The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue. Stolen from his family by changelings, Henry Day is given the name "Aniday" by the ageless and magical beings, who replace him with another child who takes his place with his parents, a young boy who possesses an extraordinary gift of music.
Kiwi_LM
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thanks! Those sound like excellent recommendations. I'll be sure to check them out =)
finalpage

Unread post

kiwi i might help a mate of mine gave me a peak at www.thebookfiend.co.uk they will stock it check it out on 30th aug. alex :twisted:

Return to “Everything Else”