• In total there are 20 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Coverage of the oil containment. This is news?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Coverage of the oil containment. This is news?

Unread post

Quick, turn on your favorite cable news program. It doesnt matter which one.

They are showing you images of the oil well.

They say:

"Look at the closed oil well. Wow. A few hours ago, that thing was really gushing.

Hey! What's that thing they put on there? Do you think a robot arm is meant to turn that screw doo-hickey right there? Look at this pressure gauge. It looks like it says "3000"...

What is that gauge measuring? Hmm.. Do you know, odious talking head next to me?"

"No, I don't know what that gauge is measuring. Probably oil pressure or something."

"Very interesting."

So. This is what "news" is these days? They point a camera at something and then everybody just kind of runs their mouth in a wierd stream of consciousness babble? They speculate wide and rangy about things they have no idea about, or in what context they might be important?

There is no doubt that plugging that gusher may have been the most important thing that happened today in the world, but do you think people might try to wrap their brains around it a bit, maybe try to understand it in context, before putting some ass-hat in a suit in front of the camera? Maybe then he could sum it up nicely, comment on the implications, give us insight into the future plan for the well and then go on to cover other news...
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Re: Coverage of the oil containment. This is news?

Unread post

I agree completely.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: Coverage of the oil containment. This is news?

Unread post

LOL! I think the same thing when watching the News. That's why the only News I take seriously is on Comedy Central.

The worst by far has to be Fox. I watch that station at work because I'm forced to but also because it's so entertaining. They went from Megyn Kelly to a new girl on one of the News shows (of course she is blonde, white, and has nice tits - why do you even have to ask it's FOX!). I know how she got the job. Kelly's bottom jaw, the jaw she uses to stick out, to jut out, to drop and allow her bottom lip to become fat with indignation and disbelief - like oh mah gawd this is so wrong and if u dig me u so totally gotta be like mad at this - is just not big enough anymore! They needed bigger! The new girl's jaw can jut out nearly twice as far as Kelly's can. It's pretty funny. Watch her. Whenever there is something she wants you to be upset at, when the station starts to really lay on their political views thick, is when her jaw becomes almost dislocated from her face. Her bottom lip is literally inches from camera and her mouth becomes an open abyss of - oh mah gawd.

I am valuing this cancer of a news station more and more, though. I knew that I would with the current administration. It just always seems to work like that. The last administration was pure, pure, pure evil and FOX was the voice of George W. Satan. It's no wonder the White House Press Secretary got colon cancer and died - he was full of shit! FOX, as fair and balanced as a morbidly obese child sitting alone on a see saw, really has a chance to show the other side of the story. Alas, they just seem to pump the same conservative nonsense into their viewers, bringing on guests that baffle their newscasters and confuse their target audience with logic, and try to use drummed up statistics to prove whatever they want.

But, and this is a big BUT, there is valuable news here. It's just in between all the garbage. This station can be used to find out certain pieces of information such as the two black panthers that intimidated voters during the presidential election. Something more left leaning news stations failed to cover and in fact FOX failed to cover until recently.

Now I don't care that 'liberals' see this as backlash for referring to tea-party 'conservatives' as racist. I don't care. What's shown in the video is illegal. That's what I care about. It's more than just illegal, it's UnAmerican. I almost feel like they should be tried as traitors to freedom and democracy. This should have been an open and shut case but it was dismissed. They should have been made examples of. Men and women don't go overseas to die in Republican wars of whimsy for this. WTF. This is wrong.

Return to “Current Events & History”