• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Fiction selections needed for Sep./Oct. discussion

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
Genocide
Intern

Re: Fiction selections needed for Sep./Oct. discussion

Unread post

But women can't write! I just looked up the plot. It seems interesting enough and fits with the futuristic book feel I've been wanting.

"In a startling departure from her previous novels ( Lady Oracle , Surfacing ), respected Canadian poet and novelist Atwood presents here a fable of the near future. In the Republic of Gilead, formerly the United States, far-right Schlafly/Falwell-type ideals have been carried to extremes in the monotheocratic government. The resulting society is a feminist's nightmare: women are strictly controlled, unable to have jobs or money and assigned to various classes: the chaste, childless Wives; the housekeeping Marthas; and the reproductive Handmaids, who turn their offspring over to the "morally fit" Wives. The tale is told by Offred (read: "of Fred"), a Handmaid who recalls the past and tells how the chilling society came to be. "

http://www.amazon.com/Handmaids-Tale-Ev ... 471&sr=1-1
Dropping glasses just to hear them break.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

That looks interesting to me, I would give it a go..
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Much like 1984, it's frightening, compelling, and a very scary reminder that that kind of hideous future may not be too far off if certain groups/people were to have their way. I'd definitely be up for reading it again.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

i'll look that one up. It sounds familiar but I don't know too much about it. Let's get a book that no one has read before...
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I've already read "The Handmaid's Tale", I don't want to read it again. :(
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I'd be very interested to read and discuss The Tin Drum - in fact I already own it. I'd also be willing to do Fahrenheit 451, but since there is already a thread I don't know that there is a point.

Read and Will Not Read Again:
Pride and Prejudice (boring)
Grapes of Wrath (I don't like Steinbeck)
East of Eden (ditto)
Madame Bovary (boring)
Animal Farm (loved it but have discussed it to death in high school)
Brave New World (ditto)
The Handmaid's Tale (ditto)

Not Interested:
The Jungle
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Beowulf

Possible:
Stranger in a Strange Land
Blindness

Think that's everything!
Last edited by Theomanic on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

Looks like Science Fiction is the theme here, doesn't it? I would be interested in Fahrenheit 451 or Stranger in a Strange Land. I definitely do not like Günter Grass, either in German or in English.
As to Blindness, I have read it. Excellent but very brutal, rather hard for me to take. I would suggest Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... 313&fsc=-1

"This inventive fantasy from bestseller Fforde (The Eyre Affair) imagines a screwball future in which social castes and protocols are rigidly defined by acuteness of personal color perception. Centuries after the cryptically cataclysmic Something That Happened, a Colortocracy, founded on the inflexible absolutes of the chromatic scale, rules the world. Amiable Eddie Russett, a young Red, is looking forward to marrying a notch up on the palette and settling down to a complacent bourgeois life. But after meeting Jane G-23, a rebellious working-class Grey, and a discredited, invisible historian known as the Apocryphal man, Eddie finds himself questioning the hitherto sacred foundations of the status quo. En route to finding out what turned things topsy-turvy, Eddie navigates a vividly imagined landscape whose every facet is steeped in the author's remarkably detailed color scheme." Amazon

I loved the book but admit to having a penchant for dystopian novels.

or

The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Glass-Feet-N ... 158&sr=8-1

"The cold northern islands of St. Hauda's Land are home to strange creatures and intertwining human secrets in Shaw's earnest, magic-tinged debut. Ida Maclaird returns to the archipelago to find a cure for the condition her last visit brought her—she is slowly turning into glass. The landscape is at once beautiful and ominous, and its residents mistrustful, but she grows close to Midas Crook, a young man who, despite his intention to spend his life alone, falls in love with Ida and becomes desperate to save her. Their quest leads them to Henry Fuwa, a hermit biologist devoted to preserving the moth-winged bull, a species of insect-sized winged bovines; to Carl Mausen, a friend of Ida's family whose devotion to her mother makes him both ally and enemy; and finally to Emiliana Stallows, who claims to have once cured a girl with Ida's affliction. Each of these characters' histories intertwine, though their motivations surrounding Ida are muddled by their loyalties. Both love story and dirge, Shaw's novel flows gracefully and is wonderfully dreamlike, with the danger of the islands matched by the characters' dark pasts. (Jan.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

The use of imagery is fantastic and the story begins with the discovery of a young woman seated in an outdoor winter landscape wearing oversized boots. When it is revealed her feet have turned into glass, this fact is not questioned, nor is the cause. It is simply taken for what it is. The quest--all great sagas and fairytales have a quest--is trying to find a cure for this malady before it is too late....the "condition" progresses rapidly upwards in the body. There are mythical creatures, such as the moth-winged bulls, again whose appearance is not questioned but accepted.

I have not yet decided whether Hauda is a Utopia or Dystopia.. But I could not put it down.
Last edited by oblivion on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
NY152
Upwardly Mobile

Unread post

Jane Austen could actually be okay. But I have never heard of this The Tin Drum. Even Blindness seems okay with me. But please no Beowulf, East of Eden, Madame Bovary, Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Handmaid's Tale.
Actually any science fiction would be quite amazing. I loe science fiction books.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Science fiction???????????? Why? How is it that there are so many females on here that are into science fiction? Aren't guys with pimples and braces supposed to be into that stuff???? What the hell....
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

I'm with you, Camacho

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”