• In total there are 27 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

why god is often thought of as a male figure

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: why god is often thought of as a male figure

Unread post

The majority of animals on Earth would have 'no' as the answer to all those questions. Like a pig. Maybe god looks like a pig.
Exactly.

And if pigs had religion, their god would be porcine.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

You've said in the past that you don't watch videos, but do me a favor and watch this one. It speaks on this topic exactly. You will see our evolutionary lineage from basic eucaryote to Homo Sapien. Each branching is pin-pointed, and there is no arguing that the traits described are not a part of our bodies.

http://www.wimp.com/niceinfo/
Good video. It won't work for Stahrwe.

Here's the problem with thick bias, such as that of a fundy. Any informational source cannot infinitely explain it's subject matter. Even the most comprehensive guide is only a summary, when compared to reality. The difference is in the state of mind in which we assimilate it. The most comprehensive guide will require you to "read between the lines" at all points in the book. Even if that means understanding the author is using an alternative connotation of some word at some point.

Someone with thick, incorrigible bias will read the opposite of what the author intends, when 'reading between the lines'. For all the minor gaps that are easily explained, they will jump on them as reasons that the information is in error.

You would think that even more education is required to convince them, but the process would repeat ad infinitum. It's not a problem that can be solved by a video.

Thick negative bias blinds them from the truth, because they unconsciously refuse to read between the lines correctly(meaning, with neutral or near-neutral bias). As a disclaimer, thick positive bias is also not reading between the lines correctly, since your lack of skepticism would blind you to possible errors.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
As animals:
We have the best:
eyesight? no
sense of smell? no
Hearing? no
navigation skills? no
defense against heat? no
defense against cold? no
defenses? no
offensive capability? no

Are we born ready to function? no
We don't even have a sturdy skin.

How is this accounted for by evolution? Someone explain it to me.
The majority of animals on Earth would have 'no' as the answer to all those questions. Like a pig. Maybe god looks like a pig.

Our brains allow us to overcome those limitations. We used animal skins, navigated by the stars, hunted stragetically, built fires, etc. All because of our brain.

Go read a book about it, you'll no doubt have further questions.
Oh come on! How did we survive long enough to evolve a big brain? Even pigs are freakin bad a@@. Did you ever see Hannibal?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:why would you expect us to be the most powerful animals if we evolved?
That is just an anthrocentric bais. We would certainly LIKE to be the best at everything, but we made trade offs.

Evolution makes no claim at creating "more perfect animals" only differences over time. Those that are useful reproduce, those that are not have a harder time.
As animals:
We have the best:
eyesight? no
And why should we? Our eyes are the product of our genetic heritage. Why would hunter/gatherer animals need the visual acuity to discern far distant things in great resolution? Our eyes evolved to suit our activities, or rather, those ancestors with greater visual acuity had no real advantage over less improved eyes because we did not have the tools at hand such as the ability to travel great distances to take advantage or distant opportunities and take advantage of the eyesight, making it a determining factor in our success.

In other words, someone who can make out details on a distant mountain was no greater use, and no better at surviving than those who could not, considering that the distance was too great for the mountain to have an immediate impact.

Other animals which use their eye sight for more elite activity, such as soaring hawks, do have better eyesight. Why is that? The birds with better eyesight were better at hunting, locating more prey items from farther distances, thus more successful, thus more reproducting, thus hawks have better eyesight.
sense of smell? no
Hearing? no
navigation skills? no
defense against heat? no
defense against cold? no
defenses? no
offensive capability? no
Are we born ready to function? no
We don't even have a sturdy skin.
I was going to answer each of these but it boils down to you having an expectation that humans are special. If we are special, we should be the best. Since we are not the best, then there must be another reason for that, other than "we are not special", so it is a test by a higher power which takes interest in us because we are so special.

Why would you expect us to be the pinacle of evolution? We are not the end of evolution. Evolution is still at work. Humans are not "more perfectly" evolved than an earth worm. If we had to live like an earthworm we would fail at it miserably. The environment is full of niches. Animals evolve to exploit opportunities.

That is the misconception many of you have that humans evolved from chimps, and so there shouldnt be any chimps left. No. Chimps didnt transform into humans. They differentiated at a point in the past to exploit different resources and ran with it.
How is this accounted for by evolution? Someone explain it to me.
You've said in the past that you don't watch videos, but do me a favor and watch this one. It speaks on this topic exactly. You will see our evolutionary lineage from basic eucaryote to Homo Sapien. Each branching is pin-pointed, and there is no arguing that the traits described are not a part of our bodies.

http://www.wimp.com/niceinfo/

Confronted with the evidence of evolution, all you and like-minded individuals have to hold out on is your ingrained sense of special-ness. An attitude that we are special and not like other animals. But this attitude is not based on fact. It is based on wishful thinking and self-centered vanity.

A bear has many advantages over a human, and i do not dispute it. It needs those attributes to fill the niche it occupies. Humans have many advantages over bears, and that is undeniable. We evolved a tool that allows us to fill our niche, and take niches away from other animals with less adaptive tools. We are now the apex predator of the ocean. We have no gills, we have no fins, but our adaptive brains allow us to work around our other limitations.

The question you ask is no devestating critique of evolution, star. Just about anyone you ask who has any knowledge on the subject can fill you in.
Since you asked nicely and are an intelligent fellow, I will withhold responding until I watch your video.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I think it is a good view regardless. Even if to just better understand your opposition.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

What difference does it make?
It makes a huge difference. If God is like you, then you must be pretty important. And that affects who gets power in politics, in religious institutions, law, language. Why do you think it is so important to Fundamentalist Christians that God is seen as “He” or “Father”? Why will they not even talk about the possibility that the Divine could be Goddess, Mother, or She? It is because masculine language for the Divine maintains a power structure where men are dominant over women. If the Divine being is not feminine, then the feminine is to be subject to those who are most like the Divine.
We don't CARE whether Santa Claus likes tuna fish or not. There is no need to get to know fictional characters, other than to make a joke or two or star them in a comic.
It is true that it is a ridiculous discussion if God does not exist. Since religion is so important to so many societies, however, it is an important question to ask.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

It is true that it is a ridiculous discussion if God does not exist. Since religion is so important to so many societies, however, it is an important question to ask.
Stahrwe was amazed that we did not know the nuances of his fictional deity. By nuances, I mean the conceptual decoration. Whether it be philosophical or personal or whatever, it takes what is obvious(man created god in his image) and rationalizes it with a back story that includes make-believe details.

We don't need to know the make-believe details to discuss how man made god in his image.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

In the coming times the sexes will be equal.

We are now seeing the rise of female Goddesses, especially Gaia.

Male Gods such as Jehovah are viewed with some disdain because of their association with the problems of the world.
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

In the coming times the sexes will be equal.
I think so too. There is just a lot of backlash from people who want to keep things the way they have always been. I would love to see the Roman Catholic church, as a whole, embrace the ordination of women before I die. We will see...

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”