• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Big Bang God Particle

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Jim Watters
All Star Member
United States of America

Big Bang God Particle

Unread post

You may know that the LHC at CERN, a particle accelerator\collider, hopes to detect particles beyond the "Standard Model" of particle physics, like the Higgs boson and "dark matter".

The more energy produced in a smaller area produces higher energy particles consisting of "heavier" quarks and other byproducts (E=mc^2).

I was wondering if all the mass=energy (and space-time) in the Universe were concentrated in one point, could it be a unbelievably super-massive particle that quickly decayed into our known (and unknown) Universe? :shock:
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: Big Bang God Particle

Unread post

This one was a little out of my league so I had to seek help to get you the most accurate answer I was capable of acquiring. While my information gathering system is a little eccentric, I think it's mostly correct 60% of the time, all the time.

After inserting the question in the space provided on http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi, I received this answer:

Definitely

Good work Jim! Good Work!
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I thought that's how the universe was created. I thought it was a tiny speck that weighed some unbelievable amount, exploded, and created the universe.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Jim Watters wrote:You may know that the LHC at CERN, a particle accelerator\collider, hopes to detect particles beyond the "Standard Model" of particle physics, like the Higgs boson and "dark matter".

The more energy produced in a smaller area produces higher energy particles consisting of "heavier" quarks and other byproducts (E=mc^2).

I was wondering if all the mass=energy (and space-time) in the Universe were concentrated in one point, could it be a unbelievably super-massive particle that quickly decayed into our known (and unknown) Universe? :shock:
I don't think 'decayed' is the right word to describe the Big Bang. Also, describing the original singularity of the universe as a particle is uncertain, and beyond existing knowledge. Science does not know what the singularity before the Big Bang was really like. If you want more detailed answers on such questions, try asking at http://www.bautforum.com/forumdisplay.p ... nd-Answers
Jim Watters
All Star Member
United States of America

Unread post

I'm quite familiar with the Standard Model of particle physics and it's relation to our understanding of cosmology.

Here's part 1 of 5 of one of my favorite video productions\introductions to both subjects:

President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I watched the series. That was awesome! :)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I suspect that one day the Big Bang Theory as we know it today will invalidated. The idea of a singularity is beyond my comprehension and quite frankly seems ludicrous. Then again much of reality seems ludicrous so who knows.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'm watching the series now. Damn, this is awesome.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Jim Watters wrote:I'm quite familiar with the Standard Model of particle physics and it's relation to our understanding of cosmology.

Here's part 1 of 5 of one of my favorite video productions\introductions to both subjects:

I like the map of the structure of the closest 200 million galaxies ...
Jim Watters
All Star Member
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks. There are quite a few of these series, such as evolution and the Standard Model.

Return to “Science & Technology”