• In total there are 26 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Difficult books...

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
reader2121
Experienced

Re: Difficult books...

Unread post

I am studying the German language, and learning how to speak and hear and listen and write. So, far I'm enjoying the sentence structure. I enjoy translating my little stories into German. It's challenging, but lots of fun. I look forward to the day when I can understand spoken German.
I want to visit Germany next year. I have a relative in München, and a good friend in Berlin. Hopefully, toward the end of 2011.

One major problem for Americans is that we don't have a lot of vacation time. You can't visit Germany in one week. Three would be a gift, but you have to work 100 years in America before you can get 2 weeks off, or, be a college student and eat Ramen noodles and fly in the cargo area of a plane on "stand-by."
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Re: Difficult books...

Unread post

oblivion wrote:Welcome. Thomas Mann can or cannot be difficult, depending on how deeply you delve into his books. You can read for the "story" alone.....or scratch be neath the surface. If you do, some basic knowledge of Nietzsche and Schopenhauer, fin de siécle decadence and homosexuality will be very useful in understanding him. And, at least in German, Mann's sentences seem to be very, very long ...!
This is a good point. I very rarely begin a book and not finish it. However, about eight years ago I began "The Magic Mountain" and stopped a small portion of the way in. I did not find it difficult or uninteresting, but, I felt that I was not yet ready for it.

At the time I had not read any Nietzsche and knew nothing of German philosophy and sensed that too much would be over my head. Though I am a little further along now, however I still need a little more brushing up before I try Mann again!

Return to “Everything Else”