• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe

Unread post

Hawking... who is this guy? Obviously he hasn't talked with Stahrwe... he's got it all wrong.

Ok, I just looked him up on the internet. Clearly he doesn't believe in god or else he wouldn't be in that wheel chair. See what happens when you deny the power of the lord? I noticed he's a quadriplegic - I hope he's got fat pockets because god charges by the miracle.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Camacho wrote:

I noticed he's a quadriplegic - I hope he's got fat pockets because god charges by the miracle.
No, priests charge....

Professor Hawking is more than quadraplegic:

Hawking has a neuro-muscular dystrophy that is related to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a condition that has progressed over the years and has left him almost completely paralysed.

He talks through a computer.

He has a great soul. Although I am sure he would deny that he has a soul.

He has a great mind....and he knows it. He can be just as bawdy and rude and iconoclastic as you or anyone else. He doesn't do God, but he does do 'Wonder'. He certainly makes me wonder. He's wonderful.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
NY152
Upwardly Mobile

Unread post

For me, reading this book makes me more open TO God, not the other way around. I can argue on the topic and the things he uses as his own examples of how God does not exist, I can find better examples in HOW HE DOES exist. I can make my arguments stronger through reading someone elses guesses. That's one of the reasons I'm reading this book. See where some people are and how I can better my argument to prove that God does exist.

What's your reason for reading this book?
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

using words and ideas man has created to prove a fictional character exists. Awesome! :D I wonder what people did before your version of god. This is the new god - similar to the old god but different - this is the new god - similar to the old god but different - this is the new god..... hehehe!!! What's god going to be next? Whatever you want!!! Isn't that awesome?!?!?!?!
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:This is the new god - similar to the old god but different - this is the new god - similar to the old god but different - this is the new god..... hehehe!!! What's god going to be next? Whatever you want!!! Isn't that awesome?!?!?!?!
Sounds like God is much like having hazel eyes. He is different everyday, depending on what the believer is wearing that day. You could color coordinate your God with your wardrobe, novel idea.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Surely it depends on how we visualise, or perceive 'God'.

In Christian, Jewish based, doctrine, we are taught to think of God, rather like a child, creating form, from modelling clay.

God, modelling Eve from Adam's Rib. Modelling Adam from the Clay and 'breathing' life into him. All very picturesque and beautiful, but NOT.

Maybe, it is more 'digestable' from an intellectual point of view, to think of 'God' as a force, like in Star Wars, 'May the Force Be With You!!'

Even the Bible (well, in the Psalms) says that God created Good and Evil. So, it is just 'the Force'. We, perhaps, choose whether we are on the side of light or darkness, and by our desire, draw such to ourselves.

Maybe that is what free-will means.

I would like to recommend, to anyone who may be interested the book:0

Hiding in the Mirror - The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions, from Plato to String Theory and Beyond.

By Lawrence M Krauss. (the author of The Physics of Star Trek).

I am not pretending to understand this book.......but....Oh, the Allure. :mrgreen:
I read A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking many years ago when it first came out. Time as the prism of nature produces a different image of eternity compared to traditional religion. Science and religion have conflicting paradigms, presenting a need for synthesis to respect the truth in both. If we can analyse the physical structure of time it presents a basis for discussion about the meaning of God. I don't find it helpful to speculate about megaverses and multiverses, although these things might be possible. As far as we can tell, there is one universe. So, understanding the operation of time in the universe is a basic question of physics, that Hawking addresses with a sound empirical framework. His work on black holes is grounded in observation, helping to explain the nature of time and galaxies. Where I think the physical understanding of time can be augmented is by looking for long term cycles. The solar system has many regular patterns which have not been the subject of much recent scientific investigation.

The comparison between Star Wars and the Bible is interesting. Luke Skywalker is a type for Jesus Christ, the hero who comes close to disaster but is ultimately triumphant.
abigail
Official Newbie!

Unread post

who said that God didn't create d universe?thats a very big lie
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Exactly Abigail. He also created Booktalk.org but don't tell Chris because he's still under the impression it was because of his hard work and effort which is just provable fact. Chris still doesn't understand how to be irrational. He needs indoctrinating. Maybe you can help him?
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:

The comparison between Star Wars and the Bible is interesting. Luke Skywalker is a type for Jesus Christ, the hero who comes close to disaster but is ultimately triumphant.
It is the idea of 'the force' which I find most compelling. And the way the Jedi Masters teach Luke Skywalker to feel the force and trust his intuition.

We learn to trust the force, and our intuition, through experience. We learn to discriminate between what is our imagination and what is true intuitive insight.

It started many years ago by never wearing a watch. Now, I always know what time it is and I am never late for appointments (that's a lie, I am 'rarely' late for appointments).

As I have related before I taught myself to dowse - it works. It is working with 'the force' - anyone can do it - it is not that I am anything special. I suppose the desire needs to be there in the first place.
President Camacho and Suzanne wrote:
This is the new god - similar to the old god but different - this is the new god - similar to the old god but different - this is the new god..... hehehe!!! What's god going to be next? Whatever you want!!! Isn't that awesome?!?!?!?!

Suzanne:

Sounds like God is much like having hazel eyes. He is different everyday, depending on what the believer is wearing that day. You could color coordinate your God with your wardrobe, novel idea.
God is a Spirit - even the bloomin Bible says this. A Force - I don't try to label it or give it a personality - it is not a person!!

I try to work with it - because I believe, for quite rational reasons, that it is a very neglected aspect of our humanity.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
abigail
Official Newbie!

Unread post

of course i will tell him but he should study his bible very well

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”