• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Mosque near Ground Zero

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: Mosque near Ground Zero

Unread post

No, the community center (giant building with all kinds of things going on, one of them being a mosque) is two blocks away from the WTC site.

Here's the mayor of New York speaking on this topic.
Very well put.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-a ... -bloomberg
Last edited by johnson1010 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
dej102716
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

there is or used to be something called the first ammendment.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

This was the ground zero mosque.

The one that was destroyed as it was pancaked along with the rest of the south tower.

http://www.pensitoreview.com/2010/09/10 ... uth-tower/

The nonsense we are hearing about this alleged ground zero mosque is nothing but political fear mongering in an election cycle.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

It’s all very sad really. We have a group of people that feel the need to adhere to a medieval fairy tale, who in turn have had their beliefs, minimal as they are, hijacked by a much smaller group with psychopathic leanings, who have used them shamelessly to justify acting out their own particular dysfunctional angst.

And now the question is afoot about how much to accommodate this larger group. The politically incorrect answer would be of course to tell them to stop their silly nonsense, and use their time more productively in some way, like perhaps reading some good books. But of course this is not to be. The world can’t change overnight.

I suppose the answer is to let them build it, and to remain in dialogue as much as possible; but also to be rigorous, aggressive even, in mandating a solid education for all young people, one that insists on science and reason, from here on in.
"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose"
— JBS Haldane
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

It does not seem to me that the viewing public is witnessing much
of a separation of church and state, which is where the problem sits
in the U.S. All religion is paranoia and all government is greed.
Our tolerance for both sides created this mess and only intolerance towards
such foolishness can stop it, One thing I would point out is that when
a controversy occurs in the church all fingers point to the Vatican ,
Where do our muslim friends point to when they've a need for leadership .
A sad truth just may be that the powers that be on both sides have unspoken
agendas , who really can trust either side,what good comes of either outcome ,
Foolish optimism is the lance that will bring us all down.
JerseySure
Official Newbie!

Unread post

It's kinda tough to argue against a Mosque when there are already massage parlors and strip joints right near Ground Zero. Hardly hallowed ground.
booklady
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

True, that.
Booklady

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Nelson Mandela

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
George Carlin

“A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.”

"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

"When I hear somebody sigh "Life is hard" I'm always tempted to ask "Compared to what?"

You never truely understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother. --Albert Einstein
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

It doesn't make any difference what anyone thinks about this building; it is perfectly legal for it to be built there. Christian religious fanatics are using this issue to persuade Americans that we should forget our constitution and practice prejudice.
booklady
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Christian religious fanatics are using this issue to persuade Americans that we should forget our constitution and practice prejudice.
Believe me, they - Christian religious fanatics - are a tiny minority in the world wide protest on this matter. So tiny in fact that they are not even on the radar.

It's much bigger than that. It's much more than that. Google it up and spend 4 to 8 hours reading all about it and you will only get a wee capsule/snapshot or who is protesting and why. You won't get anything near the big picture - the whole story.
Booklady

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Nelson Mandela

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
George Carlin

“A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.”

"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

"When I hear somebody sigh "Life is hard" I'm always tempted to ask "Compared to what?"

You never truely understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother. --Albert Einstein
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

it's pretty simple.

people are using under-developed reasoning skills to link all of Islam with the attack on the WTC, and have been revving up their "OUTRAGE" so they can pretend like it matters that some muslims want to set up a community center within a lightyear of the former WTC.

It is intollerance, jingoism, and a desire to manipulate the credulous that has put this project on the national radar.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Return to “Current Events & History”