• In total there are 34 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

"The Road" selected for our next fiction discussion!

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

"The Road" selected for our next fiction discussion!

Unread post

POLL FOR OUR NEXT FICTION DISCUSSION

Below you will find the three novels nominated for the fiction discussion for November and December. Please take at look at the books, read the descriptions and links provided for each and vote on which book of fiction you would like to read and feel would make the best discussion.

To be eligible to vote, members must have at least 25 posts and plan on participating in the discussion. Each member has three votes. Voters can apply all three votes to one book, or split votes between books. The voting takes place right here. Please feel free to state the reasons why you have chosen your favorite.

THE ROAD
Cormac McCarthy

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Violence, in McCarthy's postapocalyptic tour de force, has been visited worldwide in the form of a "long shear of light and then a series of low concussions" that leaves cities and forests burned, birds and fish dead and the earth shrouded in gray clouds of ash. In this landscape, an unnamed man and his young son journey down a road to get to the sea. (The man's wife, who gave birth to the boy after calamity struck, has killed herself.) They carry blankets and scavenged food in a shopping cart, and the man is armed with a revolver loaded with his last two bullets. Beyond the ever-present possibility of starvation lies the threat of roving bands of cannibalistic thugs. The man assures the boy that the two of them are "good guys," but from the way his father treats other stray survivors the boy sees that his father has turned into an amoral survivalist, tenuously attached to the morality of the past by his fierce love for his son. McCarthy establishes himself here as the closest thing in American literature to an Old Testament prophet, trolling the blackest registers of human emotion to create a haunting and grim novel about civilization's slow death after the power goes out.
Learn more at:
http://www.amazon.com/Road-Cormac-McCar ... 0307265439

THE TORTILLA CURTAIN
T.C. Boyle

From Booklist
PEN/Faulkner award winner and author of various novels, including The Road to Wellville (1993), Boyle avoids any potential pitfall of his prior achievement by veering in another direction and seriously examining social and political issues in this timely novel. He establishes an obvious dichotomy by interweaving the scrapping, makeshift, in-the-present lives of illegal aliens Ca{ }ndido and Ame{‚}rica Rinco{¢}n with the politically correct, suburban, plan-for-the-future existence of wealthy Americans Delaney and Kyra Mossbacher. The Rinco{¢}ns' lives, though full of fear and hardship, contain far more passion and endurance than the Mossbachers' mundane and materialistic lifestyles. An initial, pivotal car accident briefly unites, and ultimately separates, Delaney and Ca{ }ndido, provoking question after question concerning immigration, unemployment, discrimination, and social responsibility. Surprisingly, Boyle manages to address these issues in a nonjudgmental fashion, depicting the vast inequity in these parallel existences. This highly engaging story subtly plays on our consciences, forcing us to form, confirm, or dispute social, political, and moral viewpoints. This is a profound and tragic tale, one that exposes not only a failed American Dream, but a failing America.
Learn more at:
http://www.amazon.com/Tortilla-Curtain- ... 014023828X

ORYX AND CRAKE
Margaret Atwood

From Publishers Weekly
Atwood has visited the future before, in her dystopian novel, The Handmaid's Tale. In her latest, the future is even bleaker. The triple whammy of runaway social inequality, genetic technology and catastrophic climate change, has finally culminated in some apocalyptic event. As Jimmy, apparently the last human being on earth, makes his way back to the RejoovenEsencecompound for supplies, the reader is transported backwards toward that cataclysmic event, its full dimensions gradually revealed. Jimmy grew up in a world split between corporate compounds (gated communities metastasized into city-states) and pleeblands (unsafe, populous and polluted urban centers). His best friend was "Crake," the name originally his handle in an interactive Net game, Extinctathon. Even Jimmy's mother-who ran off and joined an ecology guerrilla group when Jimmy was an adolescent-respected Crake, already a budding genius. The two friends first encountered Oryx on the Net; she was the eight-year-old star of a pedophilic film on a site called HottTotts. Oryx's story is a counterpoint to Jimmy and Crake's affluent adolescence. She was sold by her Southeast Asian parents, taken to the city and eventually made into a sex "pixie" in some distant country. Jimmy meets Oryx much later-after college, after Crake gets Jimmy a job with ReJoovenEsence. Crake is designing the Crakers-a new, multicolored placid race of human beings, smelling vaguely of citron. He's procured Oryx to be his personal assistant. She teaches the Crakers how to cope in the world and goes out on secret missions. The mystery on which this riveting, disturbing tale hinges is how Crake and Oryx and civilization vanished, and how Jimmy-who also calls himself "the Snowman," after that other rare, hunted specimen, the Abominable Snowman-survived. Chesterton once wrote of the "thousand romances that lie secreted in The Origin of Species." Atwood has extracted one of the most hair-raising of them, and one of the most brilliant.
Learn more at:
http://www.amazon.com/Oryx-Crake-Margar ... 0385721676
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Re: Poll now open for next fiction discussion, please vote!

Unread post

3 for The Tortilla Curtain. I feel like reading something real instead of futuristic.
reader2121
Experienced

Unread post

3 for Taco Bell's $.99 "Tortilla Curtain"
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

3 for "The Road"
NY152
Upwardly Mobile

Unread post

3 for "The Road".
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hey, where did every body go? We need more votes!
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

All 3 for "The Road" from me.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
Genocide
Intern

Unread post

Ah, darn...

Three for Oryx and Crake. :D
Dropping glasses just to hear them break.
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Three for "Tortilla Curtain"
Tom
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

I'll cast my 3 votes behind 'Oryx and Crake'. I have this book on my shelf but if one of the others is chosen I will have to order from Amazon. Hopefully I will have better luck than last time -- I ordered the Tin Drum and Amazon waited 2 weeks and then told me they were out of stock and cancelled my order. Best case, I find it takes 2-3 weeks to get books from them (even with hurry up shipping) so I will join the discussion when I can.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”