• In total there are 42 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 42 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

book to movie / movie to book

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
reader2121
Experienced

Re: book to movie / movie to book

Unread post

I think author Russell Banks wrote the screenplay to The Sweet Hereafter (and he has a cameo, too).
deep_blue
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Harry Potter book was spoilt by movie-makers I suppose
becki_uk
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Does anyone have any thoughts on either the Twilight series or Dan Brown's novels book to movie??
NoAmount
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I know the book is always better than the movie. That's why I try to watch the movie first and then love it first, before reading the book. That way, there'd be no falling short of expectations. I also always try to tell the younger ones to always try to separate the book and the movie. It would be unfair to compare them and treat them as one.

I think the only movie which I heard was better than the book was the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
NY152
Upwardly Mobile

Unread post

NoAmount you are correct in saying that the movies were way better than the books for the Lord of the Rings.

I have always fallen into that trap, read the book first then watch the movie. Yea right! I'm always anticapting in what the movie will be because of the book. As a librarian I am always judging when I go to the movies. Especially when it is based on the comic characters is when I feel like Simon from American Idol on the judging part.

But if I do watch the movie first then read the book, I'm okay. That is why I'm thinking of writing my own screenplay's from books. I'm having all of my co-workers pick out their favorite book that they would love to see turned into a movie and I'll write it myself.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

becki_uk wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on either the Twilight series or Dan Brown's novels book to movie??
I liked the Angels and Demons movie more than the book. Ewan McGregor as a priest. :P
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

If a movie is coming up that I haven't read the book, I wait until after the movie. The book to movie translation doesn't go well for me, the people look wrong, their voices do not match the ones I gave them, the movie is more easily spoiled by knowing how it comes out, major plot twists, etc. Reading the book after, the characters from the movie retain their roles, and you get the 'bonus footage' that didn't make the movie version.

I read the Pelican Brief, after I saw the trailer for the movie, but before I saw the actual movie, that worked out pretty well. Since I knew who was playing in it I gave the characters the right faces and voices from the get go.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
NoAmount
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

NY152 wrote:NoAmount you are correct in saying that the movies were way better than the books for the Lord of the Rings.

I have always fallen into that trap, read the book first then watch the movie. Yea right! I'm always anticapting in what the movie will be because of the book. As a librarian I am always judging when I go to the movies. Especially when it is based on the comic characters is when I feel like Simon from American Idol on the judging part.

But if I do watch the movie first then read the book, I'm okay. That is why I'm thinking of writing my own screenplay's from books. I'm having all of my co-workers pick out their favorite book that they would love to see turned into a movie and I'll write it myself.
I'd be interested in what kind of screenplay you can come up with :)

But really, I think it's hard to enjoy a movie if you anticipate something in it. It's best to just go inside the theater without any preconceptions except those that you've read in reviews.

Mind you, i even have problems reading reviews about the movie first.

Return to “Everything Else”