• In total there are 54 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

New from Colorado

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
writernubbin
Master Debater

New from Colorado

Unread post

Hello to all...I'm writernubbin and new to this group. I love-love-love to read and spend many days here in the mountains where I live reading by the fire with lots of coffee! I look forward to getting acquainted. :)
"When people told themselves their past with stories, explained their present with stories, foretold the future with stories, the best place by the fire was kept for the storyteller."
DickZ

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Creative Writing Student

Re: New from Colorado

Unread post

Welcome, writternubbin. Can we assume that you write to supplement your reading activities, based on your name?

What kinds of books do you read, and if you write, what do you write?
Currently reading Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott. Recently completed The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James, The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman, Beaumarchais by Maurice Lever, The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo, My Turn at Bat by Ted Williams, Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy, The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, Lost Horizon by James Hilton.
writernubbin
Master Debater

Unread post

Thank you for the welcome :) I read all kinds of books but tend to like historical fiction the best, a few memoirs, cozy mysteries and some juvenile fiction (Harry Potter, The 39 Clues, Tamora Pierce books etc.); as for writing it's nothing to get excited about (I wish though!). Mostly I do personal journaling, some poetry, and book reviews on Library Thing and Amazon. How about you? I saw some of what you read in your signature--that's a nice place to put it!
"When people told themselves their past with stories, explained their present with stories, foretold the future with stories, the best place by the fire was kept for the storyteller."
DickZ

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I like historical fiction, too. I've read many by James Michener, Gore Vidal's series of Burr, Lincoln, 1876, etc., and some by John Jakes. And lots of straight history, too.

Lately I've been reading classics in the form of leatherbound books from Easton Press and the Franklin Library, having devoted many hours of my youth to Classics Illustrated comic books. I'm quickly finding that there's a good reason for their being called classics, and that the full books are much better than the comic book forms.

I like to write, too, but just for fun. I have written several travelogues that have links to public-domain photos on the internet so you can read on your computer all about the sights in a certain place and see the pictures of the places being discussed as you're reading. I have written other things too, but I'm starting to babble here, so that's enough for now.
Currently reading Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott. Recently completed The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James, The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman, Beaumarchais by Maurice Lever, The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo, My Turn at Bat by Ted Williams, Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy, The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, Lost Horizon by James Hilton.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello and welcome writernubbin!

I enjoy I good historical fiction novel myself. I've just read, "Wolf Hall".

I hope you enjoy yourself here at BookTalk. And please, when you feel comfortable I hope you will share some of your writing. :)
writernubbin
Master Debater

Unread post

Thank you Suzanne for the welcome :) I haven't read Wolf Hall but I have heard good things of it. Like DickZ, my writing is mostly for fun and personal enjoyment. For now, I'll be learning my way around the site and becoming acquainted with the members who love to read as I do. It's always interesting to me to hear what others like to read and why.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Welcome, writternubbin. My mother-in-law lives in Georgetown, Colo. at around 8,500 feet, and she does a lot of reading there, too!
writernubbin
Master Debater

Unread post

Thanks DWill...Georgetown isn't too far from where we are! We're at 8300' SW of Evergreen, NW of Conifer-- the Arapahoe National Forest is my backyard :) These long winters are just perfect for lots of reading and contemplation.
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

I love your signature thing, "Don't sweat the small stuff...and it's all small stuff" I just read that book! However I have yet to master it. lol
give me the rainbow!
writernubbin
Master Debater

Unread post

Ha! Neither have I...guess that means we are works in progress!

Return to “Everything Else”