• In total there are 39 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

why do college Lit. classes make you read so much in such little time?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
reader2121
Experienced

why do college Lit. classes make you read so much in such little time?

Unread post

What is the point? Shouldn't reading be at a slower pace, so as to increase awareness and appreciaton?

I read that students are encouraged to "scan" chapters.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: why do college Lit. classes make you read so much in such little time?

Unread post

They are trying to cram as much info into your head as possible in short time.

Naturally, you should have the ability to read material at a pace which promotes a more complete understanding of the subject matter, but schooling is rarely interested in your understanding something. They just want you to know it.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I was actually thinking about this the other day because I want to teach high school english, and I have noticed in my college classes that there is a LOT of readings.

I think with college, you're mostly reading factual works, which aren't really intended for us to savor & appreciate like fiction, but they're more intended to give you more information. (Well, when you read it for a class, anyway)
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
reader2121
Experienced

Unread post

wilde wrote:I was actually thinking about this the other day because I want to teach high school english, and I have noticed in my college classes that there is a LOT of readings.

I think with college, you're mostly reading factual works, which aren't really intended for us to savor & appreciate like fiction, but they're more intended to give you more information. (Well, when you read it for a class, anyway)

My heart goes out to high school English teachers who have to compete with cell phones.

If I taught I would bring a hammer to class.
rocio44
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I dont understand that either. I mean its sad because sometimes professors assign pretty interesting literature and most of the time i never read it, Just scanned through the pages because I just didn't have the time to read 200 pages a night. Anyways eventually after graduating I found my way back to the books assigned that I thought would be interesting to read, and reread them, at my own pace and got much more out of it.
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view--until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it." Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Some may be excessive, but I figure if you're a full-time student and you manage your time half-way decently (easier said than done) you do have A LOT of time to read.

Return to “Everything Else”