• In total there are 10 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Obama turns down golf games because they send the wrong message

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Obama turns down golf games because they send the wrong message

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:...it is much pleasanter watching the Oscars now that we have a Democrat in the white house and all is well with the world.
What news channel do you watch that leads you to believe all is well in the world? Are you not paying attention to the chaos in Libya and Egypt? Soldier are still dying every week in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Iran is threatening world peace daily. Were you joking by chance? I didn't see a smilie face in your post or an "LOL" so I just don't know.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

:lol: How do you ever make it through a work of nonfiction? :lol:

and here's a lol

for Iran.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Oh, Chris I'm sorry. I did mean that facetiously and I had made a post saying that but evidently did not submit it correctly.

I only meant that before the Obama administration we always heard many political comments from show biz folk and now hear none. Also I also notice that the "grunge" look seems to be disappearing. All of the performers on "American Idol" seem to be non-pierced and non-tattooed and neatly dressed and just in general in a very small way there seems to be a "tidying" up of things. Also with "Idol" and Simon gone, the show is much more courteous. But maybe I am reading too much into what is alter all just the cycles of dress and behavior.
patrickt
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Wow! Someone actually believes President Obama has turned down a golf game.

"CNN) -- Barack Obama has come in at eighth in a list of golf-playing American presidents, higher than both George Bush and Ronald Reagan.

Bush was known for his love of golf, but figures released by Mark Knoller of CBS Radio, the unofficial White House statistician, have revealed that Obama has played golf 32 times during his presidency -- eight times more than his predecessor did during his entire tenure at the White House."
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/golf/04/2 ... index.html
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

The golf controversy continues. I recently read that B.O. has played 61 rounds of golf while in the White House. Maybe somebody is counting 9 holes as a round, not 18, who knows. Obama was also criticized for filling out an NCAA bracket sheet. So far, I haven't heard anyone criticizing him for playing basketball, which he is said to be pretty good at.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Actually, I created this thread to trick you guys into bashing George Bush for spending too much time on the golf course. The fact is Bush stayed off the course while Obama has been playing quite a bit of golf. My goal was to get you guys to criticize the act of playing golf during wartime, but I failed miserably. Damn you all. :bananen_smilies042:
Seraphim
Gaining experience

Unread post

Ha ha ha. If it makes you feel any better, Chris, I was going to point out that Obama went to a resort and played golf a few days after the BP explosion in the Gulf. The timing could have been a little better on that vacation. Then again, it probably just sticks in my head as it hit so close to home.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic. ~ Frank Herbert, Dune
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:My goal was to get you guys to criticize the act of playing golf during wartime, but I failed miserably.
That's OK.
W failed miserably too!
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
lenabro
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Strange discussion, why not talk about the real issues?

The media's coverage of golf-playing Presidents is just another way of NOT talking about politics. Hurrah for the American media!
Seraphim
Gaining experience

Unread post

lenabro wrote: The media's coverage of golf-playing Presidents is just another way of NOT talking about politics. Hurrah for the American media!
Or it's their way of breaking up the monotony that is our failing economy. They have to find a way of entertaining themselves, as do we. :D
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic. ~ Frank Herbert, Dune

Return to “Current Events & History”