• In total there are 20 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

NBC Poll - Remove "In God We Trust" from currency?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Should "In God We Trust" be removed from US currency?

Yes

58%
No

42%

Total votes: 19
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: NBC Poll - Remove "In God We Trust" from currency?

Unread post

Magdelene
good word
What good word?
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

It was put on all paper money in 1955 by an act of Congress, it was declared a national motto in 1956 and evenually put on all money in 1957. Sometime in 1990 the Freedom from Religion Foundation filed a law suit to remove the slogan a federal judge discerned that the phrase was not a religious one. In 1996 the Freedom form Religion Foundation appealed it to the Supreme Court but they would not hear it.

http://www.coinlink.com/Resources/coina ... s-coinage/
http://acheritagegroup.org/blog/?p=511
jotex
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Magdalene wrote:
What solace of soul would they have had without religious succor? I do not think it is out of line to say that religious is what sustained slaves who faced hard labor, abuse and murder.

Good point. I wouldn't belittle those who have nothing to hope for and thus, turn to some "higher power". It's those who are free to access to knowledge and evidence, but remain mulish, that are silly. I think you would agree however, these instances do not evoke any respect for religious mularkey, but for mankind's capacity to transcend our our misery and give our lives meaning. A great little book on this topic is Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl, holocaust survivor.
patrickt
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

I'm an atheist. I don't care. I have a friend who ends his emails with "In His Sign" and I don't care. I have other friends who actually think the government is there to help them and unions care about working people. I don't care. When I consider all the problems facing us, what is written on the money comes way, way down on the list. It's somewhere around getting my knickers in a twist of whether President Obama is a Christian or a Moslem.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”