• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Re: Currently reading?

Unread post

EndlessLaymon wrote:Road Work by Stephen King.
That story was interesting. As much as I felt like I wouldn't like it as much as "The Long Walk" and "Thinner" by "Bachman" I was eerily compelled along. I found myself mulling it over at odd moments through the day, and right back at it at every opportunity. I may have been the only surprised person in America to find out that King and Bachman were the same author.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

charlie delambert wrote:I hope I did this right. Um...That's all folks!
I think you did it perfect! Welcome to BookTalk Charlie.
kyjake23
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

froglipz wrote:
EndlessLaymon wrote:Road Work by Stephen King.
That story was interesting. As much as I felt like I wouldn't like it as much as "The Long Walk" and "Thinner" by "Bachman" I was eerily compelled along. I found myself mulling it over at odd moments through the day, and right back at it at every opportunity. I may have been the only surprised person in America to find out that King and Bachman were the same author.
That was a few years before my time, but I can see how to reading public was fooled for so long. The subject matter between the two (yes, I still refer to them as two seperate writers) differed greatly; early King had a very supernatural slant to it, while Bachman tends to examine the horrors that can take place if society is allowed to run amok (The Long Walk, Running Man). If you haven't read Blaze, which was an early Bachman that was released a few years ago, I would definitely suggest giving it a shot. Feels a lot like Of Mice and Men, but with the traditional King/Bachman twist.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

I started The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Other Stories. This is a rather slim collection of short stories by Leo Tolstoy. The first story, Family Happiness, is thus far about a lecherous gentleman approaching his middle years who finds love in the form of his recently departed best friend's young daughter. The Russians can flat-out write!
Last edited by Kevin on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Shosha by Isaac Bashevis Singer. This is the first novel-length work I've read from Singer, who is my favorite short story author. I'm about half way through and it's holding up well. The story features themes familiar to any Singer reader: the holocaust, God, Spinoza, and... chickens?! Absolutely. The last shall be first... in other stories it may be pigeons. Praise be to find faith put into effect even if it's from someone who has no faith. Highly recommended.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Thanks, DWill, for whatever you liked about that. ;-D
I've finished Shosha and am now preparing to start Kafka's The Trial. This will be the first novel-length work of his I've read.
ValsBooks
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I just started reading 'The Store' by Bentley Little. I read one other by him called 'The Walking'...one of the most bizarre books ever. I was looking for a little horror/thriller to get in the groove for my next novel, The Ghost of Retirement. My first novel, Wiretap, is a mystery. The second, due out in July, is a mystery/thriller. So I'm branching out a bit and looking forward to it!
Esoldra
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart - it is interesting so far
Rigid Bones
Master Debater

Unread post

Currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. Loving it. It has an old world charm. For instance, I smiled to myself last night as I read, in Jonathan Harker's journal, just before he was heading out with Van Helsing to do a bit of vampire slaying..."We were prepared for some unpleasantness".
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Going Home to Glory...a memoir of life with Dwight D. Eisenhower by his grandson David Eisenhower. A well written and surprisingly objective memoir by a loving grandson whose grandfather happened to be the President of the US.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”