• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

All Time Best Comedy Movies

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
joshuakrey
Getting Comfortable

Re: All Time Best Comedy Movies

Unread post

phillies4evr wrote:I also have to add 'meet the fockers'!!!!!!!!
Over Meet The Parents?

I am actually a big Adam Sandler fan, so I love Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore. The Hangover, Superbad and Step Brothers are some of my favorite modern comedies lately. Tommy Boy and Groundhog's Day are great classics.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one, just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had." - The Great Gatsby
Rigid Bones
Master Debater

Unread post

Still Crazy is my favourite.

www.ithinkivegotit.com
patrickt
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Young Frankenstein - hilarious over and over

Being There - an hilarious "serious" movie.
Murrill
Gaining experience

Unread post

Caddyshack
Something About Mary
Woody Allen movies
Animal House
The Hangover
Tonya1000
Master Debater

Unread post

The hangover 2 the breakfast club
DamianLake
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

I have such a low tolerance for stupidity that I am not much of a fan of movies that take stupidity and glorify it. That's why I have never much understood the people who think Dumb & Dumber is the best movie of all time, (and I do know a few). I like comedy that stimulates my brain as much as it draws out the laughs. Most of Mel Brooks' earlier movies manage that, and the new version of The Producers that was made of his stageplay musical version is great.

But let me ask this; am I the only person who was laughing so hard during Ocean's 12 that I nearly passed out?
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

I have pretty much given up on comedy films, since most of them nowadays rely on corny sight gags and tired bits of dialogue that no real person would come up with on the spur of the moment. Over the years, my tastes have changed considerably in this genre. For example, at one time I thought Jerry Lewis was the funniest man on the planet, but that was when I was a preteen, and today his movies seem terribly overdone. I do like comedic satire, and the Mel Brooks and Monty Python films were great examples of this, as was the Airplane series. Nowadays, if I watch comedic films at all, they involve subtle comedy, not jokes or slapstick or physical humor. For example, films based on the novels by Nick Hornby (About a Boy, High Fidelity, etc.).
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

The musical "The Producers," it was funny, yes, but I'll still go for the 1960s "Producers" by Brooks with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. I don't know of a funnier or more inventive movie than that.

I also think that "School of Rock" with Jack Black was very funny as well as endearing.

I didn't see" Ocean's 12," but I might now based on DamianLake's praise of it.
Last edited by DWill on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DamianLake

Unread post

As a caveat, I have to first say that you need to watch Ocean's 11 first to understand who most of the characters are in 12. But where else can you see Julia Roberts playing a woman who is in turn pretending to be Julia Roberts? The Ocean's movies are master thief stories, much like The Italian Job, but they include a lot of non-slapstick comedy. Especially in 12.

I have the Oceans Collection because they put out all three of the new Ocean's movie along with the original Ocean's Eleven starring the rat pack. Ten bucks American will get you the whole set at Target or Fry's or Amazon or anywhere dvds are currently being sold.
DamianLake

Unread post

Just as an addendum, I went to see Tower Heist this weekend with some friends. I was curious to see it since it is obviously a sardonic shot at the whole Bernie Madoff matter. I'm not a wild fan of Ben Stiller, and Eddie Murphy has been hit or miss over the years, but I found Tower Heist to be pretty funny and amusing. Perhaps it was Matthew Brodrick's role that put the icing on it for me, or the fact that the previews actually didn't give away the final 20% of the movie for once. It's worth a watch for anyone in the mood for some light fun that is not in the realm of passive, mindless brainwaste.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”