• In total there are 67 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Am I an athiest?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
tjamesmoss.author
Devoted Member

Re: Am I an athiest?

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:kelstan,

I do respect your right to believe as you would, but that doesn't equate to not arguing agiainst it.

I would never FORCE somebody to drop their religion. When they say that Poseidon's magical power is the cause of tidal forces, though, i have a lot to say about that. Because we know for a fact that that is not the case.

So you (fictional Poseidon believer) can continue to believe in Poseidon if it makes you happy. But when you come to a public forum and start saying things which are maddeningly easy to disprove, i will disprove them.

Respecting religion is not the same as letting the spread of willful ignorance go unchallenged.

Believers out there, you be the judge if i am talking to you when i say "willful ignorance". Most of you do not fall in that category. If you think i AM talking to you, then you should probably take another look at your religion, because your doubt is confirmation that you already know you believe a fantasy.
Johnson, if doubt is always confirmation of realities, then we are all in big trouble.
(author) Katelyn
Experienced

Unread post

Jesus is not a zombie. There are no such things of that either. You remember when that camper or whatever his name was dude said the rapture was about to take place? People claimed they didn't believe in God, but, boy, did they rush and scramble to get 'saved'. That dummy oughta just die. He's doing Christians no favor. Jesus is real. Poseidon (whatever) is not. He's a flying horse/unicorn, right? What dummy is going to believe that? Jesus died for sins. This flying horse is as real as cupid or santa claus. He's not.
Katie
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

tjamesmoss.author wrote:
I err on the side of not being impressed with the "power of existence." Existence is ephemeral, unpredictable, spontaneous and selfish. If we are only here because of the "power of existence," then we are all in trouble.
tat tvam asi wrote:What, then, is beyond the whole of existence? Obviously, that puts this proposed power as non-existent, outside of existing. No literal force, power, energy, mind, or anything whatsoever can be outside of existence, if you propose that any force, power, energy, or mind (eternal or otherwise) "exists."

That means "existing" in this realm or dimension or any other you can possibly dream up. If you propose that something exists, here or anywhere at all, you have then placed it into "existence" in some way. If not, then you are proposing that this God does not "exist." This is nothing new or strange around here, it's actually beating a dead horse that you must not be aware of yet. So there's the corpse, here's the bat, and would you like to continue?
I think, perhaps, you misunderstood my use of "power of existence." Some people believe that to exist is to have escaped the odds of being destroyed via the power of natural selection. There are various theories of natural selection, where existence itself is imbued with the power to choose who lives or who dies... who is allowed to exist and who is not allowed to be created... who or what speaks, hears, walks, talks, etc.

The idea of a God who creates changes the onus of power. If there is no God, nature itself is granted "power" to choose who and what "exists." If there is a God, the power then rests with him, a single being who willfully creates and destroys beings and existences.

If you say, "Oh, but we know matter is neither created nor destroyed," then you are simply admitting that you have no idea how it was created nor how is can be done or sustained. By saying this, as an intellect, you are saying you do not truly understand the creative nature... the deep inner workings... of how matter functions. Neither do I. I am comfortable knowing that I don't know.

In the same way that I am comfortable knowing that I don't know, I am comfortable saying that the idea that nature is wise enough to select, create, progress or depress individual existences is more incredulous than the idea of a God who does this intelligently and with purpose. If nature does all the selecting, then the winds, the sunshine, the waters, the soil, the lava in our volcanoes, the rain that falls from the clouds, the light the stars emit... all of them filled with the same particles that choose existences... are smarter than us, more functional, more powerful, more rational.

Do you believe that?
That depends on whether or not the universe works as some type of super consciousness or not?

I see that you got caught up in a perspective of "The power of existence" as pertaining to life on earth. I was of course referring to the larger scale of the entire universe as a whole and any possible existence stemming beyond our immediate range of perception as "Existence." I mean the realm of existence itself, all existences all at once. There is no beyond or past that. It's all encompassing. And that's essentially what the myths are hinting at with the no beginning and no end attributes. It's just the realm of existence as this great and mysterious power which is constantly giving rise to forms and images out of itself, and consuming them back again only to repeat the process endlessly. In the end the reference is to no literal deity, no literal God being, but rather the whole...

The problem we had in the past is that one particular Christian fundie was trying to assert that God is outside of the realm of existence, which, obviously, takes his God immediately out of existence and hands the argument over to atheism. And the idiot was too thick in the head to understand what he had done in the process. That's where the beating a dead horse comes in.
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

(author) Katelyn wrote:Poseidon (whatever) is not. He's a flying horse/unicorn, right?
That would be Pegasus. Does your mom let you read Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poseidon
-Geo
Question everything
(author) Katelyn
Experienced

Unread post

Hello? Who doesn't read Wiki? But I'm not reading anything about wicked mess. Is he the "god of the sea"? I'm guessing that because that is the only other wicked option. There is only one God.
Katie
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

(author) Katelyn wrote:Hello? Who doesn't read Wiki? But I'm not reading anything about wicked mess. Is he the "god of the sea"? I'm guessing that because that is the only other wicked option. There is only one God.
You have already been contaminated by this forum, and you seem to be enjoying yourself. You've tried to leave without success. There's only one explanation -- Satan. I suggest you call an exorcist.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

^LMAO!!!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

(author) Katelyn wrote:Hello? Who doesn't read Wiki? But I'm not reading anything about wicked mess. Is he the "god of the sea"? I'm guessing that because that is the only other wicked option. There is only one God.
People once believed in a multitude of gods. It's called polytheism: belief or worship of more than one god. The Bible refers to Yahweh, or El, who was once believed to be the leader of the gods of the Israelites. Belief in Yahweh evolved towards monotheism, a belief in just one god and he is now simply called God. In fact, the first commandment is evidence of this move away from polytheism. "You shall have no other gods before me." So that's just the way people used to be. They believed in many gods. And the ancient Greeks lived long before Jesus was supposed to have been born, so I hardly think their religious beliefs can be considered wicked. They had no way of knowing about Christianity, so I would think God would cut them some slack about that, don't you?
-Geo
Question everything
(author) Katelyn
Experienced

Unread post

God put an end to polytheism. At least among the Hebrews. I know and believe there was thought to be more than one god. But there's not. Who wants to pray to a dead "god"? What is Budda doing for anyone? I'm not sure about ancient Greeks. At the time any of them were alive God was only for the Jewish. But later on sacrificing animals was no longer suffice. God wanted a more purposeful relationship with each person, and He opened salvation to all man-kind after Jesus died on the cross. So, maybe He would. I really don't know. And I am not "enjoying myself". I have not been "contaminated" either. There is wicked and lies everywhere. I'm not stupid. I have heard the lies, seen the wicked myself. It has not contaminted me yet. I don't need an exorcist, and they don't do anything except swing a golden stick over your head saying something which you have no clue what they're saying. I'm not possessed. I have Jesus living in me, therefore, I cannot have demons or satan. "

1.Matthew 6:24
No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."
Katie
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Looking at what you've been saying, and how you've been saying it, for the past month or so, I would have these practical suggestions for you:
1. Work on getting a good liberal education. Take courses in math, science and the humanities. Read broadly on your own. You don't have to give up your religion to do this.
2. Get a lot of practice in writing.
3. After a while of doing the above, come back and look again at your Booktalk postings.

DWill

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”