• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

Unread post

Titus Groane, Mervyn Peake
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

I'm about to plunge into "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep ?" by Philip K Dick.
Last edited by etudiant on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose"
— JBS Haldane
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

The Commoner - John Burnham Schwartz

The book has a nice slow start, but I'm hoping it will ramp up and get going. Right now, I don't have a lot of time to read because I'm getting married on Jan. 16. The honeymoon will be book gluttony.

The Mirror of Her Dreams - Stephen R. Donaldson

This book picked up pretty quickly and has been quite entrancing. It's part of the Mordant's Need set, and I look forward to reading both books.
Last edited by Krysondra on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac
PrincessCricket
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Vol. 2 of Fairy Cube

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies : So far it's pretty good. Have to return it on the 26th (library book)
Ibid
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Based off of a friend's suggestion I just started The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss today....it's well written, but I don't like science fiction or magic stuff...so....not sure how this whole thing is gonna go...
ChrisRippel
Master Debater

Unread post

I am really enjoying the following books.

Devils' Trill by Gerald Elias

Gerald Elias is a classical violinist, composer, and teacher. This is his first mystery. The main character is a cranky, blind violin teacher who like all blind detectives, "hears more than most people see." Though the mystery we learn about classical music and the world of classical music. Good characterization and interesting presentation of a topic I know some, but not much, about.

Evolution Rx: A Practical Guide to Harnessing Our Innate Capacity for Health and Healing by William Meller, MD

This medical doctor looks at what evolution and medical studies say about our bodies from a medical perspective. Why do allergies appear to be on the rise? Is organic food worth the higher cost than regular supermarket food? Do we need to drink 8 glasses of water a day? Should we stretch before exercise? Do we get enough vitamin D?

Chris Rippel
justareader
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I recently finished Slow Man by J.M. Coetzee. Excellent, at the same level of Disgrace by the same author. Both novels show aspects of the human beings, that everybody knows are there but nobody feels like talking about. Another common characteristic to the two books is the unexpected reactions of the main characters to extremely traumatic experiences.
No wonder Coetzee is a Nobel laureate.

Justareader
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Trying to get through "A Prayer For Owen Meany", John Irving. Slow going, can't really say it's pleasurable, but I'm sticking with it, but kicking myself for it.
saintkarin06

Unread post

At the moment I'm reading Zahra's song, a very sad moving tale of a young hausa girl
http://www.freado.com/users/books/4336/Karin-Ezeakor
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

saintkarin06 wrote:At the moment I'm reading Zahra's song, a very sad moving tale of a young hausa girl
If you have written a book, just come out and say it.

It is insulting to pretend that you are reading a book, when in actuality you are the author. This is a way to receive free publicity, and it is pathetic. Your book would be better received if you were to be honest.

Return to “Everything Else”