• In total there are 42 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
saintkarin06 wrote:At the moment I'm reading Zahra's song, a very sad moving tale of a young hausa girl
If you have written a book, just come out and say it.

It is insulting to pretend that you are reading a book, when in actuality you are the author. This is a way to receive free publicity, and it is pathetic. Your book would be better received if you were to be honest.
LOL. Suzanne nailed it.
-Geo
Question everything
Traveller
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Currently reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck that i borrowed from my university library. Previously read The Class by Erich Segal. My friend and I take turns reading the books we borrow. Now that we finished reading The Class, she actually wants to buy it. haha. :lol:

The current book I'm reading is slow paced and since I've just begun reading I don't really have any comments on the book.
Did anyone else read this book?
justareader
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I'll look for Useful Toil. Looks extremely interesting. Since a year ago I resulted involved in doing research about woman's labor with a sociologist. I'm sure this book will feed my curiosity and interest. Thank you Penelope for the recommendation.
Justareader
Bart
Devoted Member

Unread post

Just finished The God Virus: How religion infects our lives and culture, by Darrel W. Ray. One of the best books of the genre I ever read. I gave it 5 stars on amazon.com.

Now starting Godless, by Dan Barker, co-President of the Freedom from Religion Foundation and ex-Evangelical preacher.
Last edited by Bart on Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Reason is the enemy of faith." -- Martin Luther

Reason can be found at the home of the Atheist Camel: http://atheistcamel.blogspot.com/
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Odd and the Frost Giants, somewhat of a children's book by Neil Gaiman. Then Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.
justareader
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Few days ago I finished reading "The Evolution of God" by Robert Wright. Through historical investigation, and "connecting the dots" it shows an extremely clear evidence of the "man made" origins of god and religion. It contains a very educative description about the history and changes through time of the three Abrahamic religions: Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. The ideas presented in the book are supported by the research and publications of many authors, one example of this is the discussion presented about the historic errors and inconsistencies in the Bible that have been studied by Bart Erhman.

Justareader
hmrush
Gaining experience

Unread post

Currently reading Anna Karenina, I haven't read much by Russian others other than Suite Francais by Irene Nemirovsky but I am thoroughly impressed by this book! I love the story and the writing is fantastic (I got a translation that is "supposedly" the closest to Tolstoys actual writing) Anyone else enjoy this book?

P.s. Whoever wrote about reading Neil Gaiman...his book, American Gods (I think that is the title) is pretty good sci fi and his graphic novel series Sandman (like 10 graphic novels..I think, been a while since I read them) are pheonomenal! :)
H.M. Rush
"A mans errors are his portals of discovery" - James Joyce
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

hmrush wrote:Currently reading Anna Karenina, I haven't read much by Russian others other than Suite Francais by Irene Nemirovsky but I am thoroughly impressed by this book! I love the story and the writing is fantastic (I got a translation that is "supposedly" the closest to Tolstoys actual writing) Anyone else enjoy this book?
Hello and welcome hmrush!

I attempted to read this a few years ago, but abandoned it due to sheer boredom, I blame this on the translation. Translation can make all the difference, don’t you think? It sounds as if you have gotten yourself a good copy, I hope your experience is better than mine. I do enjoy the Russian writers, a very dramatic bunch they are!

And, "American Gods", was fantastic! We had a great discussion on it a few months ago, you should check out the archives and read some of the insights on it, the book discussion leader was excellent and provided a lot of indepth analysis.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
hmrush wrote:Currently reading Anna Karenina, I haven't read much by Russian others other than Suite Francais by Irene Nemirovsky but I am thoroughly impressed by this book! I love the story and the writing is fantastic (I got a translation that is "supposedly" the closest to Tolstoys actual writing) Anyone else enjoy this book?
Hello and welcome hmrush!

I attempted to read this a few years ago, but abandoned it due to sheer boredom, I blame this on the translation. Translation can make all the difference, don’t you think? It sounds as if you have gotten yourself a good copy, I hope your experience is better than mine. I do enjoy the Russian writers, a very dramatic bunch they are!
One of these days we should go on a Russian literature bender. Let's start with Gogol, then Turgenev (whose short stories great influenced Hemingway), then move on to Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, and Chekhov. I'm sadly deficient in the Russian lit department.

Anyway, I just finished Barbara Roden's excellent short story collection, Northwest Passages, and now I'm on to The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Oh man, is it good! I just love post-apocaylptic fiction!
-Geo
Question everything
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

geo wrote:One of these days we should go on a Russian literature bender.
:lol:

Will you be supplying the vodka?

Return to “Everything Else”