• In total there are 60 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 59 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Re: Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

Unread post

froglipz wrote:I'm about halfway through Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood right now....I'm not sure that I like it at all...
I also didn't care for this one. I very much enjoyed The Poisonwood Bible.

I'm currently reading The Kingdom of the Wicked by Anthony Burgess. Love his wit and irony.
spoonwood

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Master Debater

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote: I also didn't care for this one. I very much enjoyed The Poisonwood Bible

I have yet to read any of Barbara Kingsolver's fiction; this and "The Bean Trees" are on my to read list. But have you read any of her non-fiction? Such as "High Tide In Tucson" and "Small Wonder" or "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life"? I love, love, looove them!
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
froglipz wrote:I'm about halfway through Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood right now....I'm not sure that I like it at all...
You're not alone here, I also share your feelings. It's a shame, it had a good start, but then fizzled out towards the middle.
What I like about Oryx and Crake is that Atwood presents an almost plausible scenario of a world gone crazy, genetic manipulation, gated secured communities, rampant paranoia, control of information, strange relationships ... and she does so with characters that have really stuck with me since I read the book some time ago.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

I'm about to start China Mieville's KING RAT. I haven't read anything by this author yet, but I keep hearing good things about him.
-Geo
Question everything
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

I'm about halfway through Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood right now....I'm not sure that I like it at all...
When I started this book I wasn't sure that I would like it, but by the end, I'd changed my mind. I thought it was well done. I really like the Poisonwood Bible as well, but found Animal, Mineral, Vegtable fairly boring.

I have just started Good to a Fault by Marina Endicott, and so far I am liking it.
mzspaztastic
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I am currently reading "Incognito" The Secret Lives of the Brain" by David Eagleman. It was featured on NPRBooks, which is where I have been getting a lot of my recent reading from. I also just finished "Moonwalking with Einstein" by Joshua Foer. I will never think of chickens the same way again.
charityjones89
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

My friends have recently gotten me hooked on the Myth series. I'm a sucker for terrible, pun-filled fantasy or sci-fi because to me it's the literary equivalent of an awesome B-grade horror flick. I'm on the 3rd book in the series now and really loving it so far :)
I just started a new blog. It's going to be mostly foodie stuff and book reviews with other geekitude thrown in. http://opinionatedgeekery.blogspot.com
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

What I like about Oryx and Crake is that Atwood presents an almost plausible scenario of a world gone crazy, genetic manipulation, gated secured communities, rampant paranoia, control of information, strange relationships ... and she does so with characters that have really stuck with me since I read the book some time ago.
I agree, these 'people' will be stuck in my head forever, I'm just not so sure I want them there...
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
mzspaztastic
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Finished "Before I Go To Sleep" by S.J. Watson and now I am moving onto the book "Sister" by Rosamund Lupton.
Ang85
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I'm currently reading One Last Look by Susanna Moore. It's set in 1836 and follows English siblings to Calcutta, India, where the brother has been appointed as the new Governor-General. One sister struggles with the new culture and Indian natives, while the other embraces it. The struggling sister narrates the book through diary entries, which are very insightful and witty. I've just started it, but already can't seem to put it down!

Return to “Everything Else”