• In total there are 100 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 97 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

reading Ray Bradbury as a middle-aged man

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: reading Ray Bradbury as a middle-aged man

Unread post

I was reading some Bradbury a few years back, including The October Country, and I was struck with how bizarre his writing is. He uses some of the strangest metaphors and his writing style is quite eccentric. But a great many of his short stories--especially the older ones--are just brilliant. In many of his classic tales he hits hits the perfect note in terms of plot and character and especially in conciseness, his style always unique. Read his older stories such as The Kilimanjaro Device or The Sound of Thunder. I'm trying to think of one of his Martian stories about a guy all alone on Mars for many years suddenly finds messages to himself left by a younger version of himself. It's hilarious and tragic at the same time. But more importantly, it is so well constructed. It grabs you and doesn't let you go.

That said, Bradbury wrote a lot of freakin' stories and many of them just aren't all that great. I would recommend Bradbury: 100 Of His Most Celebrated Tales. The Martian Chronicles is great too.

Edit: The story I couldn't remember is called "Night Call, Collect" from I Sing The Body Electric.
Last edited by geo on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:Honestly, tastes do change and I think the more a person reads the more they develop a preference in content and writing style but may still be pleasantly surprised every once in a while by something out of the norm.

Although I was being humorous (or attempting to be) in the above post, I find that older men enjoy poetry more so than younger men. Exhibit A is Dwill. Dwill is 100 years old and he loves poetry. You can't even expect him to respond to your posts unless its style is consistent with one form or another of poetry.

DWill is a hundred years old? No wonder he's so smart.
-Geo
Question everything
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Yes he sucks the life from his mental patients little by little. They all complain about it but no one believes them... because they're crazy!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:Yes he sucks the life from his mental patients little by little. They all complain about it but no one believes them... because they're crazy!
I knew it! He just seems like a mind vampire.
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

What happens when I hit 1,000 posts?
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “Everything Else”