• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Should the US invade sovereign nations - I vote yes!

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Should the US invade another country to stop mass murder of civilians?

No.

15%
Yes, but only after a certain number have been killed.

No votes
Yes, but only after verifiable evidence of a government policy of mass murder has been established?

23%
Yes, but only with UN support.

38%
Yes, but only with a coalition of the willing in the absence of UN support.

23%

Total votes: 13
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Ophelia:

Or how about anti European Union feelings?
Ophelia, I don't think we have the least notion that we might be best, simply because we were once Great and had an Empire and goodness knows what else, which people imagine constitutes 'greatness'. And now we've got 'zilch'. We've been brought down a peg or two or six.

There is a lot of anti-European feeling - One old lady told me that she blamed our outbreak of BSE (Mad Cow disease) on the Germans because it was called Creutzfeldt-Jakob's disease. She said, that name meant that it had come from Jacob's field in Germany. :roll:

Many people are horrified at the thought of losing our pound sterling and going to euros. Well, now that the £ is worth the equivalent of a Matabele Gumbo Bead....I suppose they might change their view.

I used to think that people were against joining Europe, because they wanted to be American....GB as America's satellite state??? But I don't think it is so much that now. I suppose it is because we are familiar with America, through exposure to so much of their TV and Film and, of course, we speak the same language.....that's got to be part of it.

Anyway, there are still a great many of us in Britain who call ourselves Europeans and have always cursed the day when we refused to exchange £ for Euro. A lot of our generation have comparatively left-wing views and so prefer the Administrative arrangements of France or even Italy, to those of America.

One of the things we always complain about at our house is that we get news in our daily papers and TV about Britain, and about America......and absolutely nothing about the rest of Europe. And very little about Australia or the rest of the world come to that. :(

But, no.....I really don't think anyone thinks we're a great nation, or the best. We just kinda like it here, because we're used to it and to one another. ;-)
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Penelope
I know you aren't. Badly worded again. I didn't mean to imply that.

Sorry Frank.....
No need to apologize… I was not offended… Just explaining. :cool:

And because of my line of work it is also always a danger.
Penelope
I wish I'd learnt a martial art, which I am told, teaches one how to contain ones violent impulses.
The discipline taught in the martial arts is very helpful in that respect… as is the humility taught… when training a person is constantly reminded (often times by the instructor) that there is always someone out there that can kick your butt!

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Frank: when training a person is constantly reminded (often times by the instructor) that there is always someone out there that can kick your butt!
Well, often we need a good kick up the bum!!

How's this for a mixed metaphore:

If we come out the long grass and bare our arses, we might in future, be able to play with a straight bat!! :eek:

That was said by a colleague of my husband's when he worked in a Research Lab and they had dropped a clanger and tried, to no avail ,to cover it up.....weaving a very tangled web.

I say it to myself often. ;-)

Ah Me!! There is always something to laugh at!!!
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Ophelia, I don't think we have the least notion that we might be best, simply because we were once Great and had an Empire and goodness knows what else, which people imagine constitutes 'greatness'. And now we've got 'zilch'. We've been brought down a peg or two or six.

Penelope, so I was right with my impression but I hadn't guessed the cause.
Britannia was the best when it ruled the waves, and it hasn't recovered from the loss of the Empire! :laugh:

Many people are horrified at the thought of losing our pound sterling and going to euros. Well, now that the £ is worth the equivalent of a Matabele Gumbo Bead....I suppose they might change their view
Yes, the treacherous Britons might do just that! :D

I think I heard, but I'm not sure, that the UK would not the meet the criteria of admittance into the Euro zone at the moment.

Anyway, what you say is encouraging. When I was in the UK nobody mentioned they wanted to be in the euro zone. I never thought I would see this happen during my lifetime. I thought no Prime Minister would ever dare-- for fear of being lynched by the populace!

Anyway, there's a snag about the euro zone-- since it may take the UK decades to join I won't tell you just now and spoil the fun of anticipation.
[/quote]
Ophelia.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Ophelia:
I think I heard, but I'm not sure, that the UK would not the meet the criteria of admittance into the Euro zone at the moment.
Oh, Ophelia, I know we wont get into the European Union now and that we certainly wont be able to adopt the Euro.

What is tragic, to me, is that Turkey and the Eastern European Countries are part of the scene. And we, who have so much in common with you, share so much history......are separated......serves us right.....but by no means all of us are to blame for that.

Many, many of us wanted to be part of Europe, and indeed, still consider ourselves part of it. But there is no such thing as democracy.....and furthermore, when people can't be bothered to think, they become a prey to the media.....and the Blessed Rupert Murdoch....sorry....I must refrain from going off on one of my tirades......

Robert will call me a Pompous Pom!!! And we can't have that can we?

We have no idea what is going to happen here. I think we will be going to the supermarket with our money in shopping trolleys and coming home with our shopping in a purse.

But....it is good to talk my friend! xx

Rafael Sabatini
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Chris said " I think there ought to be some level of gratitude expressed by France and other nations we have bailed out militarily."

How long should this go on? It's unlikely the U.S. would exist but for the military assistance provided by the French during our Revolutionary War. Who should be thanking who? :bow:
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I think Europe should consolidate all countries into one, voluntarily. :wall:
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane:

I think Europe should consolidate all countries into one, voluntarily

Ophelia and I agree with you. Unfortunately there are many of our countrymen who prefer to be a USA statelite state.....and I think that is just because the USA speaks the same language as the UK and because we see so much US Television and films. It isn't that we 'hate' the US, it is just that geographically and historically speaking, we are part of Europe anyway.

Rafael Sabatini
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Landroid wrote:
Chris said " I think there ought to be some level of gratitude expressed by France and other nations we have bailed out militarily."

How long should this go on? It's unlikely the U.S. would exist but for the military assistance provided by the French during our Revolutionary War. Who should be thanking who? Bow

Don't I wish I'd been clear-witted enough to answer this myself !

"We saved YOU FIRST!" with the Marquis de la Fayette."
But my sense of timing isn't always as good as it could be. :wall:
Last edited by Ophelia on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ophelia.
Trish
Experienced

Unread post

Hey Penelope :)

Just out of curiosity, do you think the British people are generally more content (and perhaps happier) once the Empire thing and needing to the "the best" was shed? On occasion I have European clients and I love to pick their brains with such questions.

Return to “Current Events & History”