• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; chapters 1-5

#112: Oct. - Dec. 2012 (Fiction)
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Re: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; chapters 1-5

Unread post

Penelope wrote:I really think the humour doesn't work in an American accent.

You need to read it in a slightly pompous British tone of voice.

We, British, do tend to sound pompous, and we all of us love to see authority get a custard pie in the face. I think it's something to do with that. :wink:
I find some American humour funny but I prefer understatement in humour and I really do not like canned laughter. And yes, out here in the colonies I think many of us hear that British pompous tone and it does make things funnier. HHG delivers the proverbial 'pie in the face' on almost every page, especially aimed at authority. Not so long ago Britain exercised an enormous amount of authority around the world, so I guess British authority is a big target. Or as Adams says about the universe; it is "really big" ... how is that for understatement? When I was in England I noticed several 'village policemen' (bobbies? sp?) and thought how the British village policeman is more than a stereotype, they actually exist. And I find them quite funny, not really sure why, just seems an oddly formal projection of authority in a village setting I guess. I took a picture of one - luckily he had a sense of humour! 8)
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

I have a little trouble with British humor. I don't get it a lot of the time. Lol. Maybe I'm just too American.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

We don't have many 'Bobbies' on the beat now. When we first came to live here, we had a village policeman called PC Barry. He used to 'attempt' to keep order outside the shops where the youth element hang around, weather permitting.

He once knocked at our front door to ask if I'd seen any suspicious lurkers in the area, or something. The cat was giving birth to kittens under the TV table as we spoke and whilst I was talking to PC Barry, the kids were shouting, 'It's a ginger one, Mum, no, it's a black one this time!' Ever after that, after remarking about my sloppy parking, he always used to ask after the kittens.

He is now retired and and I talked to him in the supermarket just a couple of weeks ago about choosing from the vast variety of tea available. :D

Now the police drive about in panda cars.....and seem aloof and unapproachable.
giselle:
I find some American humour funny...
Oh yes, Bronx Jewish humour especially. Ruby Wax wouldn't be nearly so funny if she were English.

We used to love 'Taxi' and 'Barny Miller'.

I am getting on with the book, but can't wait to get to Marvin the Paranoid Android.....
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Jokes for Olivia - re British Police:-

Young shoplifter - slipping out of a shop with a parcel:-

Policeman: - 'Ere, what 'ave you got under your arm?

Youth - Hairs, what have you got, feathers?

and:-

Policeman to youth in winkle picker shoes:-

'Do your toes go right to the end of those shoes?

Youth: - Does your 'ead go right to the top of your helmet?

Hmmm......This is Liverpool (as in Beatles) humour, and I don't think it travels?

Well, some humour is international!! xx
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

Lol. Thanks Penelope. It's still a little over my head though. Want to thank you again for posting the recording. I've been reading and then listening. It's made it easier to get into the story. : )
sal10e
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Don't feel bad Olivia, I also do not typically get British humor (I detest Monty Python for example), I have been enjoying the book so far though. It is an easy read which is nice and I really appreciated Giselle's comments about the author's hints of atheism in the book in the earlier scenes. I enjoyed the humor particurlarly the parallels between the Earth being destroyed and Arthur's house for the same reason. Arthur did try and look at the plans, even though the were hard to find in the basement, with no lights and he had to bring his own flashlight :)

I enjoyed the comments on towels as well and the author's sense of humor, but I'm finding it a little difficult to keep everything straight at the moment as he keeps adding new peoples, planets, characters and the characters often have purposes exactly opposite of what you think they will, the President of the Imperial Galactic Government for example. Excellent satire though. I usually don't read a lot of science fiction but I think I will enjoy this book and get more out of from the discussion than I probably would otherwise.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Sal wrote:

I also do not typically get British humor (I detest Monty Python for example),
I haven't ever liked Monty Python type humour either, and I am English. My husband and sons used to fall about laughing and still do though. I think there is more of the 'male' of the species humour going on.

Humour in books can be difficult. When I ran a bookgroup (Housewives Register) we were always quite divided as to what we thought was funny. I didn't think Jane Austen was funny at all until I saw the stories performed.

I think possibly Hitchhikers might be be easier for you to follow if you saw the film, as at least then you would know the characters as they came up in the book. I think I saw the film first, then went on to read all five in the series. Even then I think they are more amusing than laugh-out-loud funny.

Rafael Sabatini
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

I never got Monty Python. I always thought it was stupid. Even though I did think "Spamalot", the Broadway musical based on Monty Python, was funny. Some things only work in musical form I guess.

Pamala, I think you're right about humor in book. It can be difficult. I didn't think Jane Austen was suppose to be funny though. Am I missing something there?
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

sal10e wrote: I enjoyed the comments on towels as well and the author's sense of humor, but I'm finding it a little difficult to keep everything straight at the moment as he keeps adding new peoples, planets, characters and the characters often have purposes exactly opposite of what you think they will, the President of the Imperial Galactic Government for example. Excellent satire though. I usually don't read a lot of science fiction but I think I will enjoy this book and get more out of from the discussion than I probably would otherwise.
I think one of the hallmarks of Adams humour is 'reductiveness' (I'm sure that is not a word!) ... anyway, Adams has a great talent for reducing his points to the essential and I think the 'towel' is symbolic of this .. I mean, really, if you are traveling the universe, why would you need anything more than a towel and a guide?

I don't read much sci-fi either, but I don't really read Hitchhikers as science fiction. Sure its got lots of aliens and weird planets and gadgets and spaceships but I think all of this is merely a vehicle for Adams to deliver broader themes, e.g. environmentalism, atheism and putting humanity into perspective. Although, I'm sure science fiction broadly speaking might also deal on these themes, but I wouldn't know. Back to reductiveness, I think he is asking us to consider fundamental and complex questions about human existence by reducing them down to the plainest and most essential and tying it up with humour which is mocking, satirical and self-deprecating.

I love Monty Python and have great childhood memories of sitting up late at night (after 11!) with my dad to watch Monty Python. It wasn't exactly prime time TV, obviously, but I think its interesting that Python is still talked about (love it or hate it) when other prime time stuff has long faded into the past. We have British background and I think this helps Monty Python humour go down better. But there's always exceptions to the rule, right Penny? :D
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

giselle, I note it was you and your Dad. Unless your Mum was like me, and just loved to watch her boys laughing.

I don't think women enjoyed it as much anyway.
Olivia said:
I didn't think Jane Austen was suppose to be funny though. Am I missing something there?
It's supposed to be ironic humour! It is said that Americans don't get irony. Well, neither do I. :roll:

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - by Douglas Adams”