• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Hot 100

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Re: The Hot 100

Unread post

oblivion wrote:Roethke is one of my favorite poets and "Papa" gets 4+ dings from me.
This one is always good for differing and having great discussions. One of my daughters finds it violent whilst the other one thinks it isn't.
Roethke's father died when he was pretty young and I see this poem as a declaration of love to a person who was obviously not a tame, gentle person, but nevertheless one who was hard-working and played--danced--with his small son. There is always quite a bit of focus on the "brutal" aspects, such as the drink, the scraping on the belt buckle, the pounding out time, etc. But I argue that through the eyes of a boy, here is his father, having a romp (=play) with him, whirling him around and off to bed.
He refers to this man as his papa, not his father. There is more distance in the word "father", a closeness in "papa". He certainly doesn't refer to his mother as "Mama".
The picture I see is of a man, after a hard day's work, having met his friends at a bar, comes home dirty, rather drunk, but pleased to see his son. Through the eyes of whiskey, he doesn't realize he's being a bit gruff, dances with the boy and brings him to bed. This is not the the picture of violence some see. I don't think the vocabulary used supports the idea of violence. I think of it as an ode to his dead father. And Roethke hangs on to this moment, frozen in time in his memory, like death...as in the poem.
Roethke is a poet who needs to be read for surface value, but also for introspection. And he tends to go from micro to macro. If you read this aloud, you find yourself slipping into 3/4 time (waltz) although granted, it is not explicitly written as such. The poem gathers momentum as it goes along, right up to the last line. Notice the lack of adjectives--this one is carried along on its verbs. A very dynamic poem.
Thanks, Oblivion. I love some of Roethke's poems. You did a banging, as my daughters say, job discussing the poem. It was interesting to me that one of your daughters felt the poem was violent and the other did not. If you listen to the man in the 'Favorite Poem' clip his feelings about the poem are simular to what you have written. However where he could not provide the support for his feelings, you hit it. I can add one more thing. Regarding the 3/4 watz time, you are not far off. The poem is written in iambic meter and the lines in the first stanza are as follows:
3 iambs or feet long
3 1/2
3 1/2
Second stanz:
each are 3 feet long
Third:
3 1/2
3 1/2
And the fourth
each 3

This does give a feeling of waltzing (I think I hear another ding -- make that 4 for me). I think it mostly comes from leaving those second lines with that 1/2 iamb. The line closes with a non stressed word, just like the 1, 2, 3 rise of a waltz. I hope I didn't lose anyone; I may not be very good at explaining this.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

I am sorry, but I don't like this Papa' Waltz poem at all.

My feelings are all for mother's frowning countenance. I bet she felt like hitting Papa over the head with the frying pan. It makes me really angry on her behalf. I might have liked it more if he hadn't made this derisory comment about his Mum.

If he was a toiling man with dirty hands, he would not have had a very large pay packet....and he spent it on whiskey....No wonder she frowned.

I do like a song of Carley Simon's in the same vein though:-

In fact, when I think about it, this song would be in my top 100 poems:-

It's called 'Embrace Me Child' - I think.

At night I heard God whisper lullabyes
While Daddy next door whistled whisky tunes
And sometimes when I wanted, they would harmonize
There was nothing those two couldn't do

Embrace me you child, you're a child of mine
And I'm leaving everything I am to you
Go chase the wild and nightime streets sang Daddy
And God sang, Pray the devil doesn't get to you

I thought together they must sing the moon away
I thought that they must know each other well
For the magic that they made, when they played
Wasn't lost between their Heaven and their Hell

Then one night Daddy died and went to Heaven
And God came down to earth and slipped away
I pretended not to know I'd been abandoned
But no-one sang the night into the day
And later night time songs came back again
But the singers don't compare with those I knew
And I never figured out where God and Daddy went
But there was nothing those two couldn't do
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

I agree, Saffron. The half an iamb jilts it a bit, much like a waltz (and you did a great job of explaining....thanks!). So much to find in the complex simplicity of Roethke's works.

Sorry you don't like "Papa" there, Penelope. I rather liked the bit about the frown. I think it gives the poem a more positive aspect. I think if Roethke were to replace "frown" with "scowl", "a look of hatred/terror", "disgust"....whatever, something more negative, the poem would take on an entirely different tone. But I think that by using "frown", he was implying Mother perhaps did not really approve of what was going on, but not so much so as to really care about doing something about it, much like frowning at your daughter eating cake before dinner. But that's just my opinion.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Thanks for the lyrics, Penelope. Very pretty. The lines:

"Then one night Daddy died and went to Heaven
And God came down to earth and slipped away
I pretended not to know I'd been abandoned ..."

are terribly sad. I find this much less optimistic and more depressing than Roethke, though. I'd never heard the song before---thanks!

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Dear, Dear Oblivion...at the risk of thanking one another too profusely:-
obllivion wrote:

I think if Roethke were to replace "frown" with "scowl", "a look of hatred/terror", "disgust"....whatever, something more negative, the poem would take on an entirely different tone.
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I think perhaps our different life histories are affecting our reaction to the poem. It must be a good poem to do that to us. I can't help not liking it. I see my Mum and my Dad. Your English is brilliant!! Is it your mother tongue? Don't tell me if you don't wish to. xx
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: The Top 500 Poems: 100-1

Unread post

Penelope wrote:I love the William Blake - It is really, truely creepy. 3 dings

I only really like the last verse of the Lovelace one and then perhaps only because I recognise them....1 ding.

Of course, I should be ignored because I absolute love the opening lines of Coleridges' Xanadu. I think it is just about my favourite.....

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.

However, the rest of this poem just leaves me cold. So I'm a rubbish critic.
I am sure Coleridge's Kubla Khan will feature high on the list. Check the wiki on the underground river Alfeios http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfeios
According to the 1982 controversial non-fiction book The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, 15th century French king René of Anjou, who contributed to the formation of the Western esoteric tradition, used the theme of an "underground river" that was equated with the Alfeios River to represent a subculture of Arcadian esotericism, which was seen as an alternative to the mainstream spiritual and religious traditions of Christendom. The book claims that the myth of Arcadia and its underground river became a prominent cultural fashion and inspired various artistic works such as Jerusalem Delivered (1581) by Torquato Tasso, Countess of Pembroke's Arcadia (1590) by Philip Sidney, Les Bergers d’Arcadie (1637 - 1638) by Nicolas Poussin and the Kubla Khan (1816) by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. The book speculates that the "underground stream" might also have connoted an unacknowledged and thus "subterranean" bloodline of Jesus.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
Now, LofS and her husband read poetry to one another, but my husband and I walk the canals and he moans about his back and I moan about my knees. But we do make one another laugh...

I know he loves me because he laughs at all my feeble jokes.

Yep, it's true we do (or rather used to a lot)

I often tell my husband that he is so lucky to be married to me because I laugh at his jokes about me! Can't help it, he can be a very clever man!

I really like the Rothke poem. I can almost live it. The child really knowing the story but wanting so badly to believe that his father is playing with him out of love and joy and not drunkenness.

I must confess I do not know the differing styles of poetry. I have a vague knowledge of Haiku but beyond that I'm lost. Must have missed school that day!
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:I must confess I do not know the differing styles of poetry. I have a vague knowledge of Haiku but beyond that I'm lost. Must have missed school that day!
It's not necessary to understand that different types of poetry in order to appreciate them.
A haiku is a Japanese form of poetry comsisting of 17 syllables. 5 syllables in one line, 7 in the 2nd and 5 in the third. There must be a reference to one of the 4 seasons in it and something refering to transience. If possible, some reference should be made to something tangible as well. It is a type of snapshot, an image, and extremely difficult to do. It is the minimalistic form of the original tanka from which it evolved, though these could be rather, uh, vulgar.

In the Western world, I tend to think of the poems we enjoy today as being admired more for content than form, which is a pity.
And I'm enjoying your posts very much!

oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Penelope wrote: Your English is brilliant!! Is it your mother tongue? Don't tell me if you don't wish to. xx
Hee, hee....was wondering when someone was going to ask that. :blush: I have 2 mother tongues, English and German, Penelope. Makes things a bit easier.

DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

87. Non Sum Qualis Bonae sub Regno Cynarae, by Ernest Dowson. "I am not what I was under the rule of the kind Cynara."

Last night, ah, yesternight, betwixt her lips and mine
There fell thy shadow, Cynara! thy breath was shed
Upon my soul between the kisses and the wine;
And I was desolate and sick of an old passion,
Yea, I was desolate and bowed my head:
I have been faithful to thee, Cynara! in my fashion.

All night upon mine heart I felt her warm heart beat,
Night-long within mine arms in love and sleep she lay;
Surely the kisses of her bought red mouth were sweet;
But I was desolate and sick of an old passion,
When I awoke and found the dawn was gray:

I have forgot much, Cynara! gone with the wind,
Flung roses, roses riotously with the throng,
Dancing, to put thy pale, lost lilies out of mind;
But I was desolate and sick of an old passion,
Yea, all the time, because the dance was long:

I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
But when the feast is finished and the lamps expire,
Then falls thy shadow, Cynara! the night is thine;
And I am desolate and sick of an old passion,
Yea, hungry for thelips of my desire:
I have been faithful to thee Cynara! in my fashion.

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”