• In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Obama turns down golf games because they send the wrong message

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Obama turns down golf games because they send the wrong message

Unread post

George Bush Jr. was apparently addicted to golf with a total of 60 rounds being played in the first few years of his presidency. That amounts to a total of about 2 months of time spent on the golf course.

What are your thought on whether the Commander in Chief should be out on the golf course just about every weekend while the US has troops overseas in combat operations?

Obama was interviewed and said:

“I don’t want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the commander in chief playing golf,” he said. “I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal.”

Don't you think Obama deserves some relaxation time on the golf course?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Re: Obama turns down golf games because they send the wrong message

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:George Bush Jr. was apparently addicted to golf with a total of 60 rounds being played in the first few years of his presidency. That amounts to a total of about 2 months of time spent on the golf course.

What are your thought on whether the Commander in Chief should be out on the golf course just about every weekend while the US has troops overseas in combat operations?

Obama was interviewed and said:

“I don’t want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the commander in chief playing golf,” he said. “I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal.”

Don't you think Obama deserves some relaxation time on the golf course?
Well, I don't know if a round of golf really equals a day, but I suppose it would blow most of a day by the time you got done quaffing a few afterwards. I didn't know Obama had a moratorium on golf, seemed that I've seen pictures of him on the links. At any rate, he does play basketball, and that isn't much different than playing golf. Maybe the fact that he gets beat up doing it makes it more acceptable. I kind of doubt the troops or families would take it amiss to see that he played golf.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Well he chose to be in the world of politics and the highest office in particular, and it's all about image and making it look like you care.

And since the War on Terror can never be won, I guess you better say goodbye to golf.

Bush apparently didn't care as much about his image, maybe because he thought he was on a direct mission from God.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Bush seemed to get a lot of heat for how he handled the war and his responsibilities, in general, as President. After reading an article about how Bush spent so much time on the gold course I was left wondering if maybe he hurt his image with this decision.

Obama seems to be a bit more sensitive to the families of our soldiers putting their lives on the line overseas. Am I making too much of this or would you agree that golfing just about every weekend was a little ridiculous for Bush Jr.?
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

I think you're overreacting. I kinda consider it to be one of the least ridiculous things he did while president. He really didn't spend enough time golfing... no, you're being too hard.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

From what I've read the average golf day took 5 hours of time when you include the drive to and from the course. Multiple that by 60 total golf days in just a few years and you can see that a significant part of his term was spent on the golf course. This doesn't bother you?
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

All politicians should be required to play as much golf as possible. Think how much less damage would be done.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Guy's got to do something with his weekends. I agree with Kevin. Golf is a presidential sport. Even Bill Clinton did it when not engaging in other sport. The serious point that might be concealed is that we all (or at least most of us) go about our business and entertainment with barely a thought about the wars being waged almost out of our sight. We can, and do, remain untouched by it. It shouldn't be just the Pres who keeps the suffering and hardship in mind.
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

One odd thing about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is how detached most Americans are from them. A lot of people who don't know anyone fighting overseas; the closest I come is one of my brother's high school buddies who I barely remember. And news stories about those wars don't receive much prominence or attention.

From a practical standpoint, it's best for the President to do whatever he finds most relaxing, so he's better equipped to deal with the massive challenges he faces, including the wars. And I doubt that many people are bothered by Obama playing golf, though it wouldn't surprise me if Obama's harsher critics choose to ridicule him about playing golf.

Still, golf is an elitist sport, and the nation is still facing high unemployment among other problems. In terms of perception, it doesn't look good for Obama to playing golf when so many people are suffering due to the economy, the wars, etc. And politics is all about perceptions.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I have no opinion on playing golf. I do know it is much pleasanter watching the Oscars now that we have a Democrat in the white house and all is well with the world. (no political statements or maybe I missed them the hour & half I watched PBS in the middle?)

Return to “Current Events & History”