• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Occupy Wallstreet.

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Occupy Wallstreet.

Unread post

Here's an excellent letter to the 53% guy.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/10/1 ... hat-53-Guy

It outlines, i think, the progressive point of view very well.

I am fully on board with this letter.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Occupy Wallstreet.

Unread post

There is a rather frightening fascist tendency in the USA, indicated in the linked discussion. The idea that people should just love being exploited because it makes them tough and competitive is dangerous, and serves the interests of a plutocratic elite. Fascism encourages people to welcome their own oppression. The USA is in some danger of allowing Wall Street to take over democracy. I looked up the 53% reference in the letter and found it here, with the argument that the 'occupy wall street movement' is a bunch of spongers and losers, while the 53% are those who pay tax. This is a really complicated argument. Growth requires competition, but stability requires cooperation. It is a dialectic.
JohnGNelson
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I support what the Occupy Wall Street folks are doing. I love the 99% aspect. I'm not a freeloader... I'm a healthcare executive and retired Air Force Master Sergeant. The press will try to discredit the movement by showing a few marginal folks who are there.... but there are many of us who support their ideas. I'm a 99er. A proud member of the working-class and I believe it's time for real change... New social engineering where 400 people don't control more wealth than that of half of all Americans' wealth put together.... and that 1% controls nearly 80% of the national wealth.

I've feared the rise of Social Darwinism in America. In fact, I wrote a dystopia about the post-9/11 landscape called Against Nature. A global pandemic is the catalyst and the nation quickly plunges into a dystopian society... I fear we're not too far from it now. In my novel I used many of the misdeeds of Bush/Cheney and I put the Tea Party Social Darwinists in charge.... the end result was a frightening and all too plausable dystopian thriller
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

It's promising to see this type of behavior. It'll also be interesting to see how it all plays out. I hope a worthy leader emerges from this gaggle.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

The writer makes some good points, but there's an underlying assumption that simply by increasing our taxes on the wealthy, we will automatically have better health care, education, etc. I don't share his confidence that a bigger government will ever mean anything but more waste, fraud, and a continued move towards a welfare state. To see what happens when a government's spending exceeds its revenues, look no further than what is happening in Greece, Spain, and Italy.

The Wall Street movement has at least one thing right and that is that big business has way too much influence. Our government has to represent all of the people or it simply doesn't work. I do think the wealthy can pay a higher share of taxes in America, but I also think such tax increases can only go so far before the law of unintended consequences kicks. Corporations and businesses actually creates wealth and if the government intrudes too much in our system of free enterprise it stifles the economy and everyone loses.
-Geo
Question everything
tjamesmoss.author
Devoted Member

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:There is a rather frightening fascist tendency in the USA, indicated in the linked discussion. The idea that people should just love being exploited because it makes them tough and competitive is dangerous, and serves the interests of a plutocratic elite. Fascism encourages people to welcome their own oppression. The USA is in some danger of allowing Wall Street to take over democracy. I looked up the 53% reference in the letter and found it here, with the argument that the 'occupy wall street movement' is a bunch of spongers and losers, while the 53% are those who pay tax. This is a really complicated argument. Growth requires competition, but stability requires cooperation. It is a dialectic.
I just want to thank you for using the phrase "plutocratic elite," and I'm wondering why I haven't heard it thrown around more in learned circles. That's a brilliant explanation of what is happening to us and to our world.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

He should have called him "kid" a few more times to be extra condescending.
Here’s how a liberal looks at it: a long time ago workers in this country realized that industrialization wasn’t making their lives better, but worse.
That might be how a "liberal" looks at it, but that's a pretty distorted view of history. Basically you're complaining that industrialization didn't go from farming to modern factory jobs instantaneously, while romanticizing the life of the farmer.
Last edited by Dexter on Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Dexter wrote:He should have called him "kid" a few more times to be extra condescending.
Here’s how a liberal looks at it: a long time ago workers in this country realized that industrialization wasn’t making their lives better, but worse.
That might be how a "liberal" looks at it, but that's a pretty distorted view of history. Basically you're complaining that industrialization didn't go from farming to modern factory jobs instantaneously, while romanticizing the life of the farmer.
Another point in this piece that is fairly skewed. The American dream is different for everyone and is not arrived at by a precise number of hours in the work week. One person might like living in a small apartment with no lawn maintenance and just enough money to go out and see a movie on the weekend. Someone else might want to live in a fancy house, big yard, a boat, nice cars, etc. One dream probably requires more work hours than another. The "kid" wasn't complaining about how many hours he worked.

The writer seems to expect the government to be there to lend a helping hand for anyone who gets into trouble. That may not be as easy to accomplish as he makes out. Nothing in life is guaranteed and real life has many bumps along the road We simply can't rely on the government to take away the pain and uncertainty of reality. To think the government can is probably unrealistic at best and dangerously over-dependent at worse.
-Geo
Question everything
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

The writer seems to expect the government to be there to lend a helping hand for anyone who gets into trouble.
For the ideas discussed, the government is deeply involved. Income disparity has grown tremendously since the 1960's, as a result of policy drift and deregulation. Those are government controlled variables. The government is tasked with regulating the wealth inequality. There is no one else to do that job. It is extremely complex, and rife with pro's and con's from multiple points of view. As complex as it is, the numbers don't lie. That's why it's taken so long for the mass public to realize what's happening, the numbers are finally at a point where you can't deny the implications.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I do think the wealthy can pay a higher share of taxes in America, but I also think such tax increases can only go so far before the law of unintended consequences kicks. Corporations and businesses actually creates wealth and if the government intrudes too much in our system of free enterprise it stifles the economy and everyone loses.
That's part of the problem. The policy has slowly drifted to the point where inequality sparks mass outrage. With mass outrage usually comes change in larger chunks, rather than a slow steady drift. I believe the highest bracket tax rate would be sustainable at 50%, perhaps more. Not as high as it had been earlier this century, but higher than it is now. But to jump to that percentage in a single shot would wreak havoc. We must drift towards the number, rather than jump towards it. The problem is, as soon as the drift reaches a certain point, the grassroots movement will die, and the plutocracy will once again have the upper hand to reverse the drift.

An idealized government would realize that over taxation of the wealthy is every bit as harmful as under-taxation. Many of our founding fathers wrote about this at great length. They realized that both sides are dangerous, so the middle ground must be diligently held to. The middle ground has meant a 91% tax rate for decades on the wealthiest of Americans. Strange that a number that high would represent the "middle ground", but history has shown us that it was a sustainable rate. What would unsustainable have been? 92%? 95%? 99%?

We have obviously gone much too far in the opposite direction, and I say that while still tipping my hat to the dangers of over taxation. Balance is key, and we are unbalanced as a nation.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams

Return to “Current Events & History”