• In total there are 25 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Short Review of Michelle Cohen Corasanti's 'The Almond Tree'

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
LaGraziana
Getting Comfortable

Short Review of Michelle Cohen Corasanti's 'The Almond Tree'

Unread post

In January I was so lucky to win a book, The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti. The title sounds lovely and makes believe the same about the story told in it, but this assumption proves completely wrong already in the very first chapter.

The Almond Tree is the debut novel of Michelle Cohen Corasanti, an author from a Jewish American family. She has been living in Israel for several years and is now based in New York with her family. The Almond Tree came out in October 2012.

The story tells the life of Ichmad Hamid, a gifted boy from Palestine who was born in the year when Israel was founded, and who already as a child experiences lots of mischief for being an Arab. Against all odds and with a lot of luck as well as support from people believing in him, he becomes a renowned scientist working together with his Jewish professor who at first accepts him only by threat of being fired from his job. Later on they become friends. At the same time Ichmad's brother Abbas gets tangled in a spiral of hatred and violence.

The novel is full of historical detail as well as of knowledge about the conditions under which Palestinians have been and are living in Israel.

The Almond Tree isn’t a light bedtime read likely to favour sweet dreams. The story isn’t amusing, nor very imaginative since it’s too realistic. The persons described and the events in their lives are invented, but sadly many Palestinians had and have lives very much like theirs. The author wishes to show that reconciliation is possible if both sides let go the hatred, try to understand what is behind it and work together for peace and prosperity.

All things considered The Almond Tree is a very good book. I liked it and I’m happy to have been given a chance to read it.

A long version of my review can be found in my blog at: edith-lagraziana.blogspot.co.at/2013/02 ... cohen.html
Edith LaGraziana
http://edith-lagraziana.blogspot.com

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”