• In total there are 19 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Saving the Soldiers, Has Medical Science Over Stepped Itself?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lovemybull
Atop the Piled Books

Saving the Soldiers, Has Medical Science Over Stepped Itself?

Unread post

I just an article in AARP the other day that was themed on caregiving. The subject of the story was a young man who had been severely injured by an IED. Now his father and step-mother have taken on responsibility for him either around the clock for them or with breaks in respite care. This young man is I believe 26.
Part of his brain was removed to reduce life threatening swelling. He has had to relearn walking, talking, simple tasks, and regaining bladder and bowel control. In my opinion only aren't there some injuries that it's more humane to let someone die? I have two sons, one a teen and one just turning thirty.
If one of them had chosen to enlist I would have supported their choice. But if they were sent home with brain injury that would affect the rest of their lives. Multiple amputations...with or without brain damage...I'm sure they wouldn't want to live like that. There's death with dignity, not having them scoop up the pieces and see what they can put back together.
Likewise with the premature babies they're able to save now. They can save babies that even ten years ago wouldn't have had a chance after birth. But the potential for long term or lifetime health complications rises dramatically with the very tiny ones. Is that ethical? To save a child who will be disabled and connected to a respirator and wheelchair for it's life because it was born at five months gestation because they can?
Obviously for the devout right to life side the question is easily answered. But for the rest of us it's something to think about.
L' Chaim!

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”