• In total there are 37 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Catcher in the Rye

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

The Catcher in the Rye

Unread post

Has anyone else read this? I just finished it. I decided that since I have such an aversion towards fiction and have read so little of it I should probably force myself to read at least a few of the classics. So I started with this one.Wow, I loved this book! I have never gotten so absorbed in a story as I did with this one. There was something about the main character that I could strongly relate to, maybe it was his curiosity about people and his honesty. Even the way the book is written, with improper grammar and common phrases and slang, exhibits a raw honesty. The character's thoughts are expressed in such an interesting, and often humorous, manner. I found myself laughing aloud in many places.Only the ending I thought was lacking. I felt sad when the book was finished. It didn't feel finished. It seemed as if it should keep going on and on. It almost felt as if I was listening to a friend tell me all about his experiences in life and his views of things and then all of a sudden he's gone and cuts off all contact. I need a sequel, but I'm guessing that the author is probably dead by now. Cheryl Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 9/30/05 10:30 am
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: The Catcher in the Rye

Unread post

I've never read it, but it is a classic. You mentioned reading "1984" and I think I'd rather do that one first. I responded in that thread about being interested in joining you and Tim in reading and discussing it. After we complete it maybe we can do this book next.Chris Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 9/30/05 10:29 am
pctacitus

Unread post

I read this about three years ago for an English class. I must agree with my teacher at the time that it is for people struggling to grow into adulthood through the trials and tribulations of youth. As such, I was seriously underwhelmed. This is a work that is best for adolescents, not adults.
Scott Baio

Book Ending

Unread post

I too found a strong relation to Holden. It seems the J.D. was able to create many of the same concerns in Holden, as in most every adolesent. I was suprised to find a book of such age ( 1950 ish i think) that so strongly resembled some problems that i have faced in my own life. Holden may possibly be a representation of a young Salinger. As to the ending, i found that Salinger left the ending as vague as the rest of the book. I believe this allows the book to transend the bounderies of time, and ensures that this book will be read and enjoyed for decades to come. Rock On JP Bretzik
Daniel Figueroa

ducks

Unread post

After reading this passage, I think that the lake symbolizes Holden's life, and the ducks represent Holden himself. Using this analogy, Holden's life "froze over" when he got kicked out of Pencey Prep. He is confused about where to go and what to do. So when he is asking the taxi driver where the ducks go when the lake freezes over, I believe he is actually wondering where he should go, now that there is no place for him to live.
EvilTeuf

Re: ducks

Unread post

Catcher could also be viewed as a book about the theme of life's sheer contrariness. It's certainly true that Holden is a character of many contradictions existing simultaneously.
ADO15

Unread post

How strange! I've just re-read this book after over 20 years.When I was an adolescent, I was right there withHolden - an alienated existentialist. It really spoke to me.It's still a great read, but it niggles now - it's kinda hyperrealist, and the sectin at the school drags to the point where I nearly put the book down again. But I persevered, then got annoyed by the absurd timings in the story - totally impossible, if you add it up.I agree with the point about the ending being a little underthought, and seeming like a bare draft, but that's something that shows up in Salinger's other book, Franny & Zooey(?)And I had totally missed the analogy of the ducks first time round, but that is utterly true - but the ducks find liberation where he doesn't.
Pensive Painter

Unread post

I didn't get the part about the ducks either.
anuttama

Unread post

Hi all,This is my first post to this wonderful forum. I first read Catcher in the Rye at age 13 (I'm 18 now). It really resonated with me then. I've read it a number of times after that, each time wishing that the book didnt end where it does. I totally missed the symbolism of the ducks however. The last time I read it, however, it vaguely irritated me for reasons I can't quite articulate. However this book is a real classic and will strike a chord with adolescents for years to come.Anuttama
pctacitus

Unread post

I read this book during the spring of my senior year of high school. Our English teacher assigned it and of the works we read that semester (the others being: Brave New World, Things Fall Apart, A Doll's House, A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Candide) I found it to be the worst of the bunch. I can understand how people could like the story about a young teenager who is lost, troubled and trying to find himself so he can mature. I can even understand how at a time in my life this work could have been quite good, but I think I was too old internally for this work to have any appeal.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”