• In total there are 49 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Help! Recommendation for 13-yr-old boy

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Help! Recommendation for 13-yr-old boy

Unread post

For a couple years now, I've been trying to buy books for a boy/young man I know. He's now 13-years-old and, if you're as bad as I am with how that transfers to school years, he's in 8th grade. I've tried Jack London, C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, Twain and Philip Pullman. I know that's a little heavy on the fantasy genre, but he tends to like fantasy in films and video games. I know he's read, at least, some of all the books I've given him, but I get no real sense of excitement from him, except from maybe The Chronicles of Narnia.

So, anyway, I'm hoping that someone has a suggestion for a book. Presumably, there are people on this forum who were once 13-year-old boys. But don't think this request is directed merely to our male contributors, any suggestions will be helpful. With all the talk on the forum recently, I was considering Salinger (although, personally, ugh). I also considered Shelley, Steinbeck, specifically Of Mice and Men, and Twain again
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

You haven't mentioned Harry Potter: am I missing something here?
Ophelia.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

If you think fantasy is a good fit for him, I'd take a look at getting him a good box set of Lloyd Alexander's "Chronicles of Prydain", perhaps best known because Disney did a mash up version of the whole series in a movie named for the second book, "The Black Cauldron". The books are sort of a lighter, brisker version of "The Lord of the Rings", not because Alexander's work is derivative, but because he wrote specifically for younger audiences and because he drew from a body of literature that also influenced Tolkien, namely Welsh legend. Based on how you described the boy, I think he'll likely find a lot to relate to in the books if he gives them half a chance, particularly in the later books where Taran's father becomes a central question.

If you think a box set will be too daunting for him, at least take a look at "The Book of Three", which is the first in the series. The more I think about it, I think the Prydain books may be your best shot at getting him to love books -- the entire series starts with Taran trying to get the blacksmith Col to teach him how to make and use a sword, which ought to have some appeal to a rough and tumble kind of kid.

From there, I would imagine, the trick would be to help him transition to less fantastic subject matter, or he may walk away with the impression that only fantasy novels have anything to offer. But that's an issue for next Christmas, right?

Personally, I think 13 is too early to start reading Salinger, so I'd steer clear of that. His parents might not smile on that anyway. A lot of people forget how obscene his stories can get, god bless him.

You might also try "Treasure Island". It's got both adventure and literary pedigree, and Stevenson's preface states outright that it was written with specifically your boy's type in mind.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Ophelia wrote:You haven't mentioned Harry Potter: am I missing something here?
Eh, I wasn't crazy about the series past the first two or three books. I know he read a couple of them, but I'm not sure he ever finished them. For the most part though, I try to buy books for kids that other people won't be getting for them, so I've never bought Harry Potter as a present.

Mad, or anyone else, say that I do get him the Chronicles of Prydain, how do I engage him in discussion about the books without making it seem like I'm testing him? Whenever I asked him anything about Lewis or Tolkien, I always felt like a school teacher, rather than just someone engaging in conversation about a book.

Also, any suggestions how I can hint that this is relevant to his life without coming out and saying, there's an absentee father element to the story that you might find compelling. I think it's important for him to understand that when he reads literature it can be speaking to him in some way. In fact, at this point, I think it's the only way likely that he will actually begin to enjoy reading. But I'm not really sure how to convey that.

I had considered Treasure Island at one point, but had nixed it, I'm not sure why. Possibly because I always read books before I give them to kids and didn't feel particularly inclined to read Treasure Island.

Thanks for the suggestions, so far. Keep them coming, everyone.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

Books for a 13 year old male?

Hmm, perhaps Tad William's Otherworld might be a good fit or Orson Scott Card's Enders Game? I'd recommend Neil Gaiman's American Gods to anyone.

As for engaging him in conversation, just keep it simple, not because the kid is an idiot, but because he's bound to be uncomfortable talking about any book. I know that when I was 13, it would have been unusual to talk about books. If I did, it was either speculation about the future of a series or just a few words about how good or bad it was.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

The big family themes don't really come to the fore until the later books, particularly with "Taran Wanderer", so there's probably not much point in broaching that topic until you're sure he's been drawn in. With a thirteen year old, I think it's best to start with really concrete, listable ideas. Who's your favorite character? What did you think of this character? What about when they did this? Once you've got him talking about those things, you can edge towards talking about what all of it means to him. Why did you like that particular character? Do you think it was hard for them doing this?

I was going to suggest that you read the books as well, but it looks as though that's already your habit when it comes to gifts of this sort. So another way to draw him out on what he thought of the books is to compare experiences. Try to find some point of difference, and collaborate on figuring out why the two of you differed. More often than not, the answer will be that, because you're different people with different experience, different parts will be more meaningful to each of you. Talk about those kinds of differences enough, and it'll probably just click for him.
If this rule were always observed; if no man allowed any pursuit whatsoever to interfere with the tranquility of his domestic affections, Greece had not been enslaved, Caesar would have spared his country, America would have been discovered more gradually, and the empires of Mexico and Peru had not been destroyed. -- Mary Shelley, "Frankenstein; or The Modern Prometheus"
MissCullen48

Unread post

Ummmm...Being a fourteen year old... i can say that i enjoyed the darren shan books...both the cirque du freak and the demonata series... harry potter is a good one..and the vampire earth series by E.E. Knight is pretty good too...***Looks at screen in amazement***...I FORGOT the twilight series by Stephanie Meyer..that series it the BEST!!!

i hope it helped a little...

~MissCullen~
dickens1853
Official Newbie!

Unread post

irishrose, give him the BFG by Roald Dahl. I know what you're thinking - this boy is much too mature for Dahl. Don't worry, full-grown adults can still appreciate his excellent stories. For non-fantasy childrens' books, Dahl takes the cake.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

I have got two sons...One is 34 now and the other has just had his 29th birthday. My eldest child is a girl (well, a lady now). I also have six year old grandson.

I used to read to them.....I read 'The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe'. Then we talked about it. I don't know whether it was the book or the talking that was helpful. But it was good to read all together....but I think it was the discussion at the end that drew us together.

What you choose for your boy, depends on the boy. My eldest liked Henry Treece - Historical novels about the Vikings and the Romans etc. My youngest liked humour.....and loved Chockey, Web and the Chrysalids - by John Windham.

These to authors are a bit old fashioned now - I think Harry Potter makes good films - I have read four of them. No depending on the boy, I recommend to you, Henry Treece, or John Wyndham. I can't remember whether you spell it Wyndham (I think this is right) or Windham.

Read them together - and then talk about them is a good way......
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

I just remembered - Wilbur Smith - Gorilla Adventure - if he likes wild life and travel....he wrote a lot of books.....African Adventure....they were all called, 'something.......Adventure'.

I can recommend Alan Garner - who wrote 'The Weirdstone of Brisingamen' - legend of King Arthur.....story. 'The Owl Service' was another one of his. They all take place in this part of England.

One which we all remember reading and talking about was called, 'The Machine Gunners' - which is a book for young teenagers. The author wrote a lot of books for children (especially boys - coming to terms with war and its connotations) some of which were televised. I knew this author, he was a neighbour and lived quite close to here. His name is Robert Westall.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”