• In total there are 40 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What is your favorite fiction genre?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.

murder mystery

15%
science fiction

21%
fantasy

23%
historical fiction

18%
westerns

No votes
drama

10%
other

13%

Total votes: 39
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

I have a strong preference for science fiction. But I must qualify that by saying I enjoy reading any well-crafted fiction. And I do like a good mystery from time to time.

George
George Ricker

"Nothing about atheism prevents me from thinking about any idea. It is the very epitome of freethought. Atheism imposes no dogma and seeks no power over others."

mere atheism: no gods
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Sci-Fi all the way. I also like any well written genre though. But Sci-Fi, to me, is the only way to really get a sense of escape..to explore, which I like and expect from my reading material.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

The poll was a bind because I didn't know how to vote twice.

I love historical fiction and mysteries equally.
Ophelia.
briscoda
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I'm going to go with fantasy here. The first novel length book I ever read was The Hobbit, and I was hooked after that.

I will also qualify my response and say that I too love any well-crafted fiction.
annaisabella
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I don't know if there's such a genre called philosophical fiction, but if there is i vote for that.
jales4
Intern

Unread post

annaisabella wrote:I don't know if there's such a genre called philosophical fiction, but if there is i vote for that.
Can you offer up some titles/authors that fit this genre?

Thanks, Jan.
annaisabella
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Well, a couple of weeks ago i read a book called "Essays on love" by Alain de Botton. De Botton describes the stages of being in love: from its beginning until the break up. I could also mention Hesse, Kafka, Dostoyevsky, Coelho, Unamuno, amongst those i consider philosophical fiction, but as i said, i'm not sure they can be considered in this genre-should there be such a category.
evendeathmaydie
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I love fantasy the most, children's fantasy, that is, especially victorian, like books by E. Nesbit, and mid-twentieth century like Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. I also love the Redwall series by Brian Jacques.
I also like science fiction, although at the last minute I decided not to vote for it. Mostly I like sci-fi channel on tv, and of course movies like Star Wars and Stargate.
Recently, however, I became aware of H.P. Lovecraft (whose ideas influenced Stargate a lot, actually) and I have absolutely fallen in love with all of his works, the macabre, the horror and the sci-fi.
I kind of wish macabre fiction were on that list, as I might have decided to vote for it. Although I love Redwall, Brian Jacques isn't my favorite author, Edgar Allen Poe is. I know, no one likes Poe anymore. Well, I do. :roll:
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello evendeathmaydie,

I note you've mentioned HP Lovecraft. Do you like "The rats in the walls"? This is the only story I know, though I must have read a few others.

This is not at all the sort book I normally read, but it was introduced to me by a young man who was doing some work on my computer a few years ago.
I had a look and thought "So this is what young people read!".

Then I prepared an elaborate study project for a literary class (seventeen year-olds in a high school in France). I learnt a lot and spent hours just doing the preparation, but they din't like it-- I think the few boys in the group liked it but it wasn't the rest of the group's cup of tea.
It's a shame because there really was a lot to say.

I hope you are planning to stay with Booktalk and join our discussion forums.

Would you feel like writing an intro and telling us a little about yourself?
Ophelia.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”