• In total there are 32 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What are the last five books you've read?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
greg in the machine

What are the last five books you've read?

Unread post

Just as a "get to know each other" thing, I think it'd be a good idea if we each gave a list of our most recent literary excursions. Start with the most recent.1) A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (science fiction adventure)2) The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams (biography and satire)3) The Shelters of Stone by Jean Auel (historical fiction adventure)4) Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel (autobiographical memoir)5) Henry V (parts I & II) by William Shakespeare (drama)G
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: What are the last five books you've read?

Unread post

1) The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins.2) The True Believer by Eric Hoffer.3) Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer.4) A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.5) Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan.I started reading The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris a couple months ago but haven't gotten very far into it.Cheryl
greg in the machine

Unread post

With a reading list like that, you and Chris (I'm assuming you don't already know him) should get along just fine. Any of them could have come off of his bookshelf.I've read A Brief History of Time and Pale Blue Dot, and I've always meant to pick up The Blind Watchmaker. Maybe I'll suggest it as a BookTalk selection.G
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Greg,I've known Chris for nearly two years. He invited me to be a part of this discussion group. Many of the books that I've read recently and others that I still want to read have been at his suggestion. This site looks fantastic. I'm especially impressed now that I know Chris had to design it with you sitting around flicking rubberbands at him. Cheryl
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Cheryl & Greg:The last few books I've read have been...1. "How to Master the Art of Listing & Selling Real Estate"Hey, I'm a Realtor trying to be the best I can be. We could discuss this book if we get reeeaaalllly bored. LOL2. "Pale Blue Dot" by Carl SaganAwesome book as you both know.3. "Spirited Americans" by A.E. JeffcoatThis book is a celebration of our nations history. It focuses on the elements that have made our country such a success, such as the dynamic and positive people that helped shape our government and policies. I'm not done with it yet, but it seems to be an excellent response to the people out there who seem to take pleasure in bashing the US...as if there has ever been a greater place to live. The book makes you proud to be an American.4. "Evolution: The Triumph of An Idea" by Carl ZimmerHefty book...and well worth the effort. I don't recommend it for people without a scientific background or a strong interest in the field of evolution. There are far better books out there for gaining a basic understanding of the topic without reading such a monster. But the chapters in the beginning are fantastic and talk of Darwins early career and struggles. Good stuff.5. "Are Souls Real" by Jerome W. Elbert, Ph.D.The book examines the logic and science behind the claim that humans possess the spiritual element called a soul. Not to ruin the book for anyone who might be intrigued enough to buy it, but Jerome concludes there isn't any evidence for such a claim.I've talked to him via email a few times after seeing that his book never addressed the claim that the human body looses a few grams or ounces at the very moment of death. Mystics claim this is the soul leaving the body. Jerome replied that he actually considered naming his book, "Weighing the Soul." But there isn't any information available on the subject and no conclusive evidence supporting such a claim so he skipped the whole shabang. 6. "The Art of Deception" by Nicholas CapaldiA great book that teaches the principles of Logic and debate.7. "Why I am Not a Christian" by Bertrand RussellI've been reading this book on and off for a few years...and just finished. Interesting stuff on the debate between theism and atheism.8. The Best American Science and Nature Writing" by Edward O. WilsonTons of essays on everything from abortion to recycling to cloning. A great book for anyone interested in environmental issues or the moral hardcases of the day. Chris O'Connor Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 6/2/02 6:44:37 pm
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Chris,Wow, all of those books sound really interesting. You said, "I've talked to him via email a few times after seeing that his book never addressed the claim that the human body looses a few grams or ounces at the very moment of death. Mystics claim this is the soul leaving the body."I've heard that too and I don't think that argument makes much sense. The soul is believed to be of a spiritual nature rather than a physical one. How could it be measured by physical means?I think a much more logical explanation for the slight drop in weight at a person's death is that when a person dies all body systems and muscles completely relax, including the bladder and intestines. So at the moment of death the person will urinate and deficate if there is any stool in the lower bowels. That would be a much more reasonable explanation for the loss of a few ounces or grams than a spiritual soul leaving the body. Ok. I'm discussing books I haven't even read. When do we get to select one to start reading? Cheryl
greg in the machine

Unread post

I said five books. That's eight books, you big dummy. Can't you count? I heard something about that "weight loss at death" thing a long, long time ago. Somehow I'd gotten the impression that it was one of those sensationalist nonsense stories like you see in The World Weekly News (stuff along the lines of "World War II Bomber Found On Moon" or "Chelsea Clinton to Wed Alien Ambassador"). If there's something more to it I'd be interested to read up on the subject.G
Lucaya

Unread post

The last books I read (other than dry, technical, b*llsh*t) was a series of 7 books...the Incarnations of Immortality, by Piers Anthony. A co-worker and I were discussing thoughts on "death" and he suggested I read "On a Pale Horse". Well, I read that book, and could not get enough of it. Within 3 month, I read through all 7 in the series. This really sparked an interest in reading that I never knew I had. I later tried to read other books from Piers, as well as other "well known" Sci-Fi books and I found that I did not have as much of an interest in them. As a matter of fact, the others were so hard to finish, that I simply gave up. I have learned that I have a very particular interest certain types of "story telling" books, while other types are a struggle to get through. This helped me to realize that with the plethora of literary works out there, it will be hard for me to find the ones that truly interest me. That is why I think this book club is great. So bare with me, I may not be able to finish all of the works we begin, but it will help me to refine my understanding of what peaks my interests and why.Lauren
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Lauren:I too have very particular interests when it comes to literature. This message board may indeed be the answer for you and people like us. If you don't like the book being read one month, maybe you can suggest another one. There is no reason I can't start a forum for a different book that a few people want to read on the side.And don't feel obligated to read at the same pace or even to complete a chosen book. The readings and discussions are for fun and if a particular book doesn't excite you enough to complete it fast enough...no biggie.One of my favorite type of books is fantasy. I've read dozens of fantasy books, but I have a certain type that I really enjoy tremendously. Years and years ago I used to play pen
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Everyone:I've started a forum for the book "Future Shock."Chris

Return to “Everything Else”