• In total there are 33 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Anyone interested in the novels of Iris Murdoch?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Anyone interested in the novels of Iris Murdoch?

Unread post

I've read about five of her many titles, and have a thought to read as many more as I can. I'm on The Sacred and Profane Love Machine (1974) now. Her books are hard to describe, but they all have a lot to do with love. She was a philosphy professor, so there is some of that in the books, but always in a way that you don't notice so much, really. She's a good plotter, too, so you're eager to turn the pages. You might know that she had dementia late in life. Her husband, the literature professor John Bayley, wrote An Elegy for Iris, which was later made into a movie. Murdoch has a reputation as of one of the best 20th Century novelists.
Please let me know if you have read any of her books and which ones you like best.
bohemian_girl
Book Nut

Unread post

Hi there
I have to admit that, although I am a total bookworm, I had never heard of Iris Murdoch until I saw the film based on her life, which made me curious about her work. I'd love to check out her books.
Which book of hers would you recommend starting with? Which do you think is the best and why?
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Unread post

I too like bohemian girl never heard of her till the movie. I would also be interested in a recommendation.
If you obey all of the rules, you miss all of the fun.
--Katherine Hepburn
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

DWill, I don't think I have ever read anything by Iris Murdoch, so why don't you recommend one of your favorite and maybe a few of us can read it.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”