• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Horror Genre Appreciation Thread

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Trish
Experienced

Horror Genre Appreciation Thread

Unread post

I'm a HUGE fan of horror. Just on a superficial level I love being scared especially if it's a good psychological warping rather than a jump-out-and-getcha cliche. Metaphorically, I think it's probably one of the most under appreciated genres ever. If you want to know what a culture's deepest anxieties are look at their horror story themes. I think one of the most versatile vehicles for expressing social change is a zombie. A zombie can be the counterculture literally devouring the old norms (Night of the Living Dead). A zombie can be a metaphor for a mindless consumerism (Dawn of the Dead). A zombie can be intellectual torpor, laziness in our personal relationships, or reluctance to mature (Sean of the Dead). I'm fairly certain a new zombie movie could be set in Iraq or Wall Street.
Anyway, I was hoping there are other horror fans on the boards that would like to discuss their favorite films and books on a symbolic level. :up:
bohemian_girl
Book Nut

Unread post

Hi Trish!
I'm not really familiar with the horror genre but I'd like to read more. Do you have any book suggestions?
I am, however, a big Stephen King fan. If you like the zombie themes I recommend his book 'Cell.' The book is about a virus transmitted through cell phones which puts people into this zombie like state... they become destructive and lose all sense of who they were. It's great. Another great SK book is Desperation. It leans a bit more toward the horror genre than some of his other books.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I actually listened to Cell on a CD in my truck during a cross country road trip. I figured it would help keep me awake. If there were randomly placed screams it would definitely have helped... but that would be a liability for the recording studio I guess.

What does a story like 28 days later represent metaphorically? The fear of contagion I presume. I'm a zombie in the mornings, every morning. If I were waking up on top of a mountain in perfect snowy conditions with breakfast waiting on the table and a snowboard at the door, only then would I not be a zombie. Not that I'm a snowboarding freak, it just seemed like a good scenario.
Trish
Experienced

Unread post

:P Sorry for delayed response. I was beginning to think i was on my own here. I haven't read alot of King but I have to say "It" was my favorite then "The Shining" and "The Stand." When you mentioned "Cell" it reminded me of a movie called "In the Mouth of Madness." Sam Neil starred in it. It was about a popular horror fiction writer who goes missing before the release of his new book. Some of his fans are just a little more than obsessed and are known to go swinging axes in public places. Sam Neil is an insurance investigator who thinks it's all a publicity stunt goes looking for him using clues he finds in his books. For a book suggestion you might really enjoy "The Alienist" by Caleb Carr and the sequel "Angel of Darkness." The first is set in 1890s New York. The author is a huge history buff who writes both fiction and non-fiction. Alienists are what we would call today forensic psychologists. Police departments in those days were very corrupt and run almost like a gang. There was no concept of a serial killer, so when child prostitutes start turning up dead in the rough, impoverished 5 points district the police hardly bother. The alienist is Dr. Lazslo Kreizler who has modern ideas that an evil person need not be insane, but acts logically on his or her own impulses.
Trish
Experienced

Unread post

Interbane wrote: What does a story like 28 days later represent metaphorically? The fear of contagion I presume. I'm a zombie in the mornings, every morning. If I were waking up on top of a mountain in perfect snowy conditions with breakfast waiting on the table and a snowboard at the door, only then would I not be a zombie. Not that I'm a snowboarding freak, it just seemed like a good scenario.
Yes, you just have to turn on the news to hear about the bird flu. Fast moving contagions are actually a legitimate threat in our modern, connected world. It's impossible to say if we could ever contain an outbreak before significant damage is done. 28 Days Later works cause at least some of it is rooted in reality. Our wonderful civilization and way of life could be brought down by a one-celled organism or a resilient piece of RNA.
The Ritzy

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book Nut

Unread post

I don't really know any horror books (if there's any recommendations, that'd be lovely!), but I have to say the moment zombies started being scary was when they started running in movies. Dawn of the Dead surprised me when they became fast flesh eating things.

Otherwise, I have to say I like old school Jason movies. Nightmare on Elm Street is always a good past time to watch and there's of course Children of the Corn with it's many sequels. I'm a big ham for old horror movies. They make me laugh.

I haven't really be interested in the newest horror movies. I'll have to check them out. But more likely, I'll just end up renting a horror classic with a bowl of popcorn wishing I had a movie projector so that it could feel more like a movie theater.

Edit: Sorry if we're only talking about horror books. o_o
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

I don't know if anyone likes Serial Killer/Thrillers but if you do ... Vengeance Settles the Score is a good read. I have had a lot of good reviews on this book as far as an edge of your seat, page turner.

Just a suggestion and I would truly appreciate the support. Even if you don't like the genre, perhaps you know someone who does. please coinsider it. It really is a good read.

You can find out more on my website.

"Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself." - James Anthony Froud
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
gjswriter
Eligible to vote in book polls!

If you like horror

Unread post

Hey all... If you like horror, please take a look at my latest novella, Zahir. It is a work set in the deepest Amazon and below is what my readers are saying. I invite you to my site to read short stories (especially "The Day They Came")and view chapters of all my work.

Sincerely,

Greg
www.gregoryjsaunders.com

2/21/2009

I have just finished ZAHIR.

I was very impressed. I finished the book in one sitting (although a short story this is unusual for me). I’ve always wondered where good writing comes from. I’ve always believed that to be a successful writer one needs not only to understand oneself but to have an understanding of the human condition. The story was well crafted and I was totally immersed in the plight of your characters. I was horrified and enthralled at the same time. I was hoping that at least someone survived but then quickly realised that there was only one possible ending. Your mastery of language was a joy and generated a level of imagery which no film could match.

I look forward to reading Light from a Distant Star soon.

Regards,

Harry Bourlotos
Australia

Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

Oooh! Sounds scary. :shock: I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks,
And welcome to Booktalk.
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
gjswriter
Eligible to vote in book polls!

ZOMBIES

Unread post

I have read a few zombie books and I think my son has read every book and watched every movie ever made. As a metaphor? Perhaps all of us worker bees endlessly plodding along on the same-ol dull life-sapping routine until we inevitably snap. I use plodding because they remind me of people waiting for a subway, endlessly shuffling forward, tranced out and trying to avoid eye or physical contact with any of the other mindless multitude. At least until a pretty girl enters the scene, then it's like zombie radar and all of them turn in unison and you can fairly here their minds scream, "Brains!". I'm sure that's not exactly what they are screaming, but...

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”