• In total there are 41 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Would you buy and live in a house that was the scene of a horrific murder?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Yes

55%
No

45%

Total votes: 22
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Take the poll but also explain your thoughts. Even if you're not superstitious wouldn't it make you uncomfortable sleeping in such a house?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Would you buy and live in a house that was the scene of a horrific murder?

Unread post

I wouldn't be comfortable buying such a house because I have an overactive imagination. And I know I'd continually think about the gruesome murder that took place in the house and probably have trouble sleeping.
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

HECK no. Like Chris, my imagination runs wild and I would not be able to live at a gruesome murder's crime scene. I wouldn't sleep, and I would get really jumpy.
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

It depends if the movie was any good :lol:

No, I wouldn't live in a house where people were murdered. I'm a superstitious creature. Our western culture has used signs, omens, the drawing of lots, and dice rolls to try and predict future outcomes. I just found out that in some cases brought before judges that were too obscure for the judge to render a verdict - he threw dice to solve the matter. Superstition is something very natural to man, it seems to me. We sure have invested a lot into it. I don't know how many lives have been lost and will be lost due to the most infamous superstition of all.

What does it say about the person that doesn't mind living in that house?
MidnightCoder

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:What does it say about the person that doesn't mind living in that house?
Heh, say what you will about me, but I wouldn't care in the slightest. I'd probably get a much better deal on the house too... :lol:

Okay, here's a question. Which is worse, a house where a horrific murder took place, or a house where someone committed suicide?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I guess I don't see why being superstitious would matter one way or the other--would it be because of the spirits of the murdered people haunting the place? I think I could live in the house unless there were bloodstains or something that couldn't be gotten rid of--then, no.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

I'd have to agree with dwill: if there were no physical signs of a muder having taken place, I think I could be fine there
We could go a step further and expand the question to "could you live in a house where a major massacre or genocide was minutely planned? Or owned by a murderer? Or someone like Hitler or Idi Amin?
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
patrickt
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Of course, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. I was visiting a friend in the hopsital and after ascertaining he was doing well I said, "Have you wondered how many people have died in this bed?" "Not until now,you SOB."
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

MidnightCoder wrote:Which is worse, a house where a horrific murder took place, or a house where someone committed suicide?
That depends. If they hung themselves, I wouldn't live there. If it was a shooting, stabbing or otherwise I wouldn't mind it THAT much.
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
MidnightCoder

Unread post

Iluvbookz13, I gotta ask... what's the difference to you? They ended up just as dead, they pee on the floor whether it's a hanging or a shooting...

I'm very curious about this. :P

Return to “Everything Else”