• In total there are 31 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

My religion

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

My religion

Unread post

Having moved to Ga I'm subject to something I never was in Miami. I can't recall ever having someone knock on my door to talk to me about religion while I lived in Miami. Now that I'm here in Ga, someone knocks on my door or walks up to me while I'm working out in my yard it seems like once a month. Just this morning two people knocked on my door to hand me more literature on God. These people are so devoted, well dressed, and cordial that it's disheartening not to find people of the same demeanor but with my similar interests and beliefs going the same route.

Why has there yet to be a religion that teaches the same morals and values that most worldwide religions teach without all the superstition. Why can't there be a place where the sciences are taught as well as a place that educates about how to live a good life? Where people can be just as dedicated to righteous behavior towards fellow human beings without the need to believe in gods and get a good dose of new scientific findings.

The place I'm envisioning would be similar to a college without the expense. Professors would volunteer to give 'sermons' about their chosen profession, philosophy would be discussed, and there would be an area where the kids would go where they would be taught musical instruments, carpentry, or metal-working.

There would be activities developed for the adults to join in and all in the search for truth in higher learning.

The House would be decorated with maps, science displays, and the solar system would be painted on the roof.

The discussions would be lively, interesting, memorable, and enlightening. It'd be a good place to congregate, share, learn, and grow.
Bart
Devoted Member

Re: My religion

Unread post

Comacho asks:
Why has there yet to be a religion that teaches the same morals and values that most worldwide religions teach without all the superstition.

Maybe because religion by definition embraces "beliefs" and supernalism. Without belief in the supernatural there can be no religion.

Isn't what you seek summarized by the philosophy of Humanism?

Humanism
–noun 1. any system or mode of thought or action in which human interests, values, and dignity predominate.
2. devotion to or study of the humanities.
3. (sometimes initial capital letter) the studies, principles, or culture of the humanists.
4. Philosophy. a variety of ethical theory and practice that emphasizes reason, scientific inquiry, and human fulfillment in the natural world and often rejects the importance of belief in God.
"Reason is the enemy of faith." -- Martin Luther

Reason can be found at the home of the Atheist Camel: http://atheistcamel.blogspot.com/
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:
The place I'm envisioning would be similar to a college without the expense. Professors would volunteer to give 'sermons' about their chosen profession, philosophy would be discussed, and there would be an area where the kids would go where they would be taught musical instruments, carpentry, or metal-working.

There would be activities developed for the adults to join in and all in the search for truth in higher learning.

The House would be decorated with maps, science displays, and the solar system would be painted on the roof.

The discussions would be lively, interesting, memorable, and enlightening. It'd be a good place to congregate, share, learn, and grow.
That sounds very cool. As Bart says, secular humanism espouses these ideals. But this would be a place of learning as well as for social gatherings. I have yet to go to a skeptic's in the pub meeting, but I would like to.

Anyway, welcome to the bible belt. I've had people come up to me and try to push their incredibly limited view of God on me when we have yard sales or what not. I'm just polite and say no thank you.
-Geo
Question everything
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I see. I'm reorganizing my thinking now. I don't know how I could have asked that question. I should have thought about the question I was asking. I guess there are stupid questions!!! hahaha.

I like the definition of humanism. Yes, it would be a house of humanism.

Lessons and values would be hand picked from history and put into a multi-volume book for easy reference. Notes on what the individual meant and under what context it was written would be placed on the bottom half of the page. Thus, the book would be split in two with quotes/stories on top and explanations and amplifications on the bottom. The quotes and stories would be compiled into like content so that a single lesson could be taught from multiple philosophers with different views.

There would be yearly changes and the book would reflect the best course of instruction for the times.
bluet
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

President Camacho wrote: Why has there yet to be a religion that teaches the same morals and values that most worldwide religions teach without all the superstition. Why can't there be a place where the sciences are taught as well as a place that educates about how to live a good life? Where people can be just as dedicated to righteous behavior towards fellow human beings without the need to believe in gods and get a good dose of new scientific findings.

I think I love you, you are a person after my own heart. This is how I see my fantasy world, and why can't it really happen? I am so happy to see that someone shares my vision of how things could be. Now, how can we make it happen?
ErnieBerla
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Let me know when you get your school up and running. My family and I are going there. :D
Omid Mankoo Author
Master Debater

Unread post

When a set of instruction comes to humanity, questions are brought by the first who hear them.
They are guided by the bringer of that message.
once the messenger dies, his close followers guide the people.
once those close to the messenger die, people are left basically to themselves and what their imagination brings forth which eventually paves the way to their own hell, because they make up things which they have no direct knowledge of, meaning they will go astray thinking they are correct.
or in a community theyt will be guided wrong thinking that they are going right, again paving their way to hell.

this is written in the baha'i literature , the book is called "the book of certitude"
it describes the figurative language in the bible and the Qur'an.

these set f instructions rescue humanity every time they appear. however it is ignorant humanity again which taints the truth. take any truth scientific philosophic, religious, and taint it you will have trouble.

anyhow. every system needs updating, maintenance, upkeep.
even in our relationships we need to be aware instead of just following along like a robot.

I agree about the proposals you made. it is a good idea. there used to be such a place in babylon. read the book , it is a tiny book translated rom cuneforms "the richest man on babylon" it describes such a place in one of the stories. the book focuses on how to become rich. peopole use the kjnowledge contained in that book to be rich these days. the insurance industry is meantioned in the book as well.
Trish
Experienced

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:Having moved to Ga I'm subject to something I never was in Miami. I can't recall ever having someone knock on my door to talk to me about religion while I lived in Miami.
I've lived in Miami all my life and that sort of thing started happening more frequently in the last few years. I remember being visited about 5-6times in the last 2 years, either I was home or I found literature in my door. I read some of it for kicks and it's very warm and fuzzy stuff. Unfortunately, I do love birthday cake, blood transfusions, and critical thinking. Darn.

What part of Miami are you from? I grew up in southwest Kendall and went to Killian High School.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I lived in south kendall near krome ave. You know where the walmart down there is? I lived just east of it near tamiami airport.
Trish
Experienced

Unread post

I lived very close to Tamiami for many years but I was just a bit more east of it. Sorry to get off topic but you'd be shocked at how developed it is west of that walmart now. I'm actually moving to central Florida at the end of the month.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”