• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What are some of your favourite Science Fiction books?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

What are some of your favourite Science Fiction books?

Unread post

I saw the topic for Fantasy and thought "That's not fair!" :)

So, what are your favourite Science Fiction novels? That's a pretty wide scope of books which I think includes steampunk and "speculative fiction" such as written by our dear Margaret Atwood (who will probably die before admitting she has written genre fiction).
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Re: What are some of your favourite Science Fiction books?

Unread post

Anything and everything Neil Gaiman.
Neuromancer - William Gibson
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
anything by Kurt Vonnegut
Madelaine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time and its following sequels
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
1984 - George Orwell
Doomsday Book - Connie Willis

a lot more...I love science fiction. :D
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Personally if I had to select a genre besides the all-encompassing "Fiction" as a favourite, I would choose Sci-Fi. I love Sci-Fi, and even though for the past five-ten years I've been expanding my horizons and trying not to stick to a particular genre, I find myself always returning.

I think my top pick would have to be Neuromancer by William Gibson. That is one of my favourite books ever written. I like a lot of Gibson's other work as well, particularly Idoru.

I also quite like Haruki Murakami's novel Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. When I used to read exclusively from the Sci-Fi and Fantasy genre, a friend of mine shook his head and said "Look beyond!" and introduced me to this book. While it's sci-fi(ish) and fantasy(ish), the author's style is that of Magic Realism. My friend was very smart and after that I read many of Murakami's books and began to read a lot of general fiction.

An author that is near and dear to me is Peter Watts. While he is from my hometown, I didn't know that before I read his most excellent novel Starfish. I really loved it! I think one of the most reread books in my collection. He also wrote a much critically acclaimed novel called Blindsight which was a bit too hard sci-fi for me. But if you like hard sci-fi (and 2001esque endings) I recommend it.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Anything and everything Neil Gaiman.
Neuromancer - William Gibson
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
anything by Kurt Vonnegut
Madelaine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time and its following sequels
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
1984 - George Orwell
Doomsday Book - Connie Willis
Haha, I have to say, I love *all* those books. Interesting that you picked Doomsday Book as your favourite Connie Willis novel. I liked that one, but I think I liked Passage more. Less sci-fiy, though...
Eratosthenes

Unread post

Theomanic wrote:I saw the topic for Fantasy and thought "That's not fair!" :)

So, what are your favourite Science Fiction novels? That's a pretty wide scope of books which I think includes steampunk and "speculative fiction" such as written by our dear Margaret Atwood (who will probably die before admitting she has written genre fiction).
How long is a piece of string:
The first series I ever read was THE LENSMEN by E.E.DOC SMITH...was captivating but a little old now (like me...lol)
Since then...apart from the obvious Hobbits...David Gemmel...David and Leigh Eddings...Raymond Feist...and (dare I say it) Stephanie Meyer!!
Kayta
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Loved Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series. Literally couldn't put it down. Teenage daughter gave me first book to read one afternoon....finished it 3 am following morning. Was captivated. More fantasy than sci-fi.

Favourite sci-fi has to be Asimov and Heinlein. Asimov just had such creative, unexpected plot twists. Really enjoy his short stories. Love whole Heinlein's Lazarus Long storyline, especially Time Enough For Love.

Frank Herbert's Dune series is spectacular mainly for it's scope. To follow a universe of characters through thousands of years without leaving loose ends is downright clever.
"...if you trust in yourself...and believe in your dreams...and follow your star...
...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy." Miss Tick, The Wee Free Men, Terry Pratchett
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

1. Stranger in a Strange Land

2. Dune (but not the rest of the series)
3. J.O.B.
4. Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld is fascinating "science with a twist" but short on story value)
5. Ender's Game

Yes, Stranger, is IMHO head and shoulders the best SF ever written!
I was an SF freak in high school and college. After Orson Scott Card I just haven't found anything that compares to the mid-20th century stuff. I don't even care for Card's work after Ender. Of course, that is probably due more to changes in my taste that changes to the genre.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
Eratosthenes

Unread post

Kayta wrote:Loved Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series. Literally couldn't put it down. Teenage daughter gave me first book to read one afternoon....finished it 3 am following morning. Was captivated. More fantasy than sci-fi.

Favourite sci-fi has to be Asimov and Heinlein. Asimov just had such creative, unexpected plot twists. Really enjoy his short stories. Love whole Heinlein's Lazarus Long storyline, especially Time Enough For Love.

Frank Herbert's Dune series is spectacular mainly for it's scope. To follow a universe of characters through thousands of years without leaving loose ends is downright clever.
Good point, I guess I missed Dune...I thought the first three were brilliant but I think, like many publishers, it became a cash cow. They tell me the recent one written by hi son (name escapes me) is very good. The Lensmen was brilliant in its story but was written in another time and technology and would stand up today, it would be interesting however to re-write the story with modern thinking...maybe a project for me...I shall have to write to the publishers and ask them....
Eratosthenes

Unread post

Kayta wrote:Loved Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series. Literally couldn't put it down. Teenage daughter gave me first book to read one afternoon....finished it 3 am following morning. Was captivated. More fantasy than sci-fi.

Have you read The Host yet by Stephanie Meyer...also a good read but different type of story...also get a read of Fallen by Lauren Kate if you like that sort of genre...its another different twist.
Eratosthenes

Unread post

GaryG48 wrote:1. Stranger in a Strange Land

2. Dune (but not the rest of the series)
3. J.O.B.
4. Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld is fascinating "science with a twist" but short on story value)
5. Ender's Game

Yes, Stranger, is IMHO head and shoulders the best SF ever written!
I was an SF freak in high school and college. After Orson Scott Card I just haven't found anything that compares to the mid-20th century stuff. I don't even care for Card's work after Ender. Of course, that is probably due more to changes in my taste that changes to the genre.
With a recommendation like that I will have to get Stranger...have not read it yet. Thanks for the thought.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”