• In total there are 142 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 140 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Do you decide in the first two pages if you like the book or not?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Rancher1
Permanent Ink Finger

Do you decide in the first two pages if you like the book or not?

Unread post

Just curious. :?

When you pick up a new book, do you decide in the first two pages if you like the book or not?

Also how long will you read a book that is not interesting you?
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Do you decide in the first two pages if you like the book or not?

Unread post

I usually give it a chapter.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

I usually try to make it through at least two chapters to decide whether or not I'm going like a book. If I can't make myself read past two or three chapters and there are long gaps between my reading any more, it's pretty clear that I don't like the book or am not ready to read it at that time. For example, I've made it through several chapters of Les Miserables, but keep taking large breaks from the book because I am just not quite ready to read it yet, but I gave up on Thus Spoke Zarathustra after two chapters and am pretty sure I'm not going back to it because I don't like the writing and am content to get my Nietszche from a second or third hand source. I do plan to one day finish Les Miserables, but I don't think I can say the same thing for the Nietszche.

I usually know right away whether or not I like the writing style, however, or how I'm going to feel about how they develop their characters. Sometimes I press on even if I don't like how the writer is writing or using character, just to finish a book, but I usually can't finish if I can't relate to the story in a meaningful way. Sometimes I even like the characters and the action but wish the writer had a better style, or vice versa. I'm picky, but I'm usually fairly open to suggestion and try to finish what I start.

How about you?
Veneer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

It depends on whether it is fiction or non-fiction. Fiction, I can drop fairly easily, but non-fiction I usually procure in support of an interest. What happens to me quite regularly is that I get into a book and get bogged down usually about 1/3 to 1/2 way through it. I still want to read it but I'm lazy. I notice that I take a sudden interest in my magazines, or someone will mention a really dynamite book that I want to read now. The first book gets set down with a book marker with the full intentions of returning to it when I finish the other book. I have dozens of books laying about with a book marker at about page 125.

The Kindle has created a solution and yet another problem. You can down load a sample of a book for free, it is generally the first 20 to 40 pages. You can't read a book by it's cover and sometimes the first chapter can steer you wrong also, but it is a nice feature that can save you some money. The problem arises when you see a neat book, download the sample and get hooked. Now I have all sorts of Kindle books with a completion of about 39%. Amazon is a giant drug cartel. They sell the pleasure of reading. And the Kindle is a very effective pusher to us book junkies! Gratification of your habit in less than 60 seconds, and here is a free sample to whet your cravings! One of the big problems with the Kindle is impulse buying--one click and it is yours--no nasty addresses to put in, no complicated credit card numbers and weirdo numbers on the back of the card. No need to be at a computer, let alone a book store. You can be out in the middle of the woods (providing that your woods has Sprint or ATT--depending on the model--cell phone coverage) and purchase your latest desire painlessly (until your credit card bill hits) and with a tiny bit of effort. There is no delay!
“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time." Edward P. Tryon
Veneer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

bleached, right on about writing style. Poor style can make the hottest sex scene boring, and good style can get you through a book on the joys of knitting. Perhaps an exaggeration, but you get the idea.
“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time." Edward P. Tryon
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

Because I have missed out on some good stuff in the past by giving up on a book too soon, I try to give it about 20% before I toss it. So, that's 60 pages of a 300 page book. I do get distracted though so, just like Veneer, I have several books lying around with bookmarks in them.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
lovesbooks07
Master Debater

Unread post

I gave it quite a few Chapter before i give up on it.

What about you Rancher1?
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

I picked up a book, No Doors, No Windows and I think I read at least 20 pages of that and decided that I just wasn't in the mood to read it. I usually give it at least a few chapters before I give up.
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'm surprised nobody else does what I do. When I'm finding a book a bit boring I'll flip to a random spot in the middle of the book and read a few pages. This usually tells me if the book gets better later in the read or if the book persists as a boring book.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Chris, I can't do that because I am obsessive-compulsive and if I am even contemplating reading further into the book, I don't want anything to be given away. Like, I will not watch any episode of a television show I am planning to watch someday if I haven't started at the beginning. Unless it is a stand alone episode kind of show like Law & Order or a sitcom, I can't let myself know anything in advance. I won't even look at the episode titles for the two Heroes seasons I haven't seen yet, because they will give too much away.

But I'm an oddball, so I can't speak for anyone else who hasn't mentioned that.

Return to “Everything Else”