• In total there are 57 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Badmouthing religion is a crime

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Badmouthing religion is a crime

Unread post

It's very telling when people think that insulting their beliefs is illegal. Telling a person he's an idiot for believing in Bigfoot is no worse, but with no legal recourse.

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/s ... d_junkies/
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Re: Badmouthing religion is a crime

Unread post

Stories like this make my blood boil. While I am a huge advocate of not insulting the ideas and beliefs of others, and pointing out offensive speech for what it is, the last thing that a free society needs are laws or government sanctions against opinions.

What often disturbs me is that when I talk to some folks who profess to love freedom and claim to agree with the concept of freedom of speech, they will flip on dime when confronted by speech that they disagree with. These folks are then all for censorship or similar laws as described in the article.

Criticism of religion often provokes this response. At least here in the USA, I often find that speech that some deem to be "unpatriotic" will provoke a similar reaction.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Religious stupidity strikes again.

*sigh*
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Good example of religion being exempt from criticism. On the other hand those who are willing to challenge such a stupid law brings it to the spotlight where it can be openly mocked.
-Geo
Question everything
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

"Even a superstitious man has certain inalienable rights," but he "has no right to be protected against the free criticism of those who do not hold them. He has no right to demand that they be treated as sacred. ... The meaning of religious freedom, I fear, is sometimes greatly misapprehended. It is taken to be a sort of immunity, not merely from governmental control but also from public opinion."
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

The God of the Gaps is losing footing every day.

"Please don't scare away our sky-daddy with your non-stop discoveries!"

http://chronicle.com/article/The-New-Wa ... ence/65400
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”