• In total there are 36 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Benefits of following Jesus

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Azrael
Masters

Benefits of following Jesus

Unread post

Just what are the benefits of following Jesus? What do you stand to gain? This thread is not about if he lived or did not live.
Last edited by Azrael on Sat May 22, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaywalker
Experienced

Re: Benefits of following Jesus

Unread post

Star, a christian once asked me-''But if you don't fear god what stops you raping and murdering ?'' Leave 'em to believe,mate. It's Safer.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Star Burst wrote:Just what are the benefits of following a mythological God man? What do you stand to gain? This thread is not about if he lived or did not live.
There are no benefits to following a mythological God man.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

Edited the OP I guess I should have left the mythological portion out of it............
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Though I am not a follower of Jesus, I think if one truly followed the philosophy espoused in the Gospels, one would need to give up most, if not all material possessions up to the poor, and oddly enough reap some benefits from doinf so.

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."(Matthew: 19; 23)

"Woe unto you that are rich, for ye have received your consolation."(Luke: 6; 24).

"Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me" (Matthew 19:2)

Are just a few examples among many of what I would call an admirable, but extreme positions on materialism and wealth.

I do not think that the above is calling for half measures, IE. Donating a percentage of what one has to charity. I interpret this to mean that if you are rich or even very well off, there is serious trouble ahead! If you are just doing OK, you should still give away whatever you have.

I do not know if I would call this a benefit, but I think that the few individuals who have gone so far as to devote most of their wealth and effort to charity, likely have such strong beliefs and convictions that they would be very much at peace and self satisfied.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

You will be pressured by your family to change you mind;
If you continue as a Christian they will disown you and may have a funeral for you;
If employed you will lose your job;
If not employed you will not be able to find a job;
You will be hunted, persecuted, jailed, beaten and possibly be tortured to death;
If you live a long life it will be one of hardship.
The benefit? A personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

That was the sales pitch the early Church had and is true in many contries today
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:You will be pressured by your family to change you mind;
If you continue as a Christian they will disown you and may have a funeral for you;
You will be hunted, persecuted, jailed, beaten and possibly be tortured to death;

That was the sales pitch the early Church had and is true in many contries today
stahrwe, I think that it is interesting that you used the term "personal relationship with Jesus Christ" in reference to the early church. Have you read Harold Bloom's "Jesus and Yahweh"?

In it he argues that the idea of the "personal relationship with Jesus Christ" is a much newer and very American concept. While I am interested in the history of Christian beliefs and have done a fair bit of reading on the subject, I feel that I do not know enough to have an opinion as to Bloom's position. Based upon your post I presume that you would disagree with it.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Emperorbjt wrote:

stahrwe, I think that it is interesting that you used the term "personal relationship with Jesus Christ" in reference to the early church. Have you read Harold Bloom's "Jesus and Yahweh"?

In it he argues that the idea of the "personal relationship with Jesus Christ" is a much newer and very American concept. While I am interested in the history of Christian beliefs and have done a fair bit of reading on the subject, I feel that I do not know enough to have an opinion as to Bloom's position. Based upon your post I presume that you would disagree with it.
I am familiar with the book and Mr. Bloom.

Have you read:
The Bible?
Thomas Aquinas
Augustine
Tertullian

I am always very leary when someone says that they are interested in the history of Christian beliefs.

BTW, Bloom realized that any idiot can write a book about Jesus, make rediculous claims and be taken seriously.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
Emperorbjt wrote:

I am familiar with the book and Mr. Bloom.

Have you read:
The Bible?
Thomas Aquinas
Augustine
Tertullian

I am always very leery when someone says that they are interested in the history of Christian beliefs.

BTW, Bloom realized that any idiot can write a book about Jesus, make rediculous claims and be taken seriously.
Would you be less leery if I said I had absolutely no interest in Christian beliefs :)?

To anwser your questions:

The Bible - Every word, at least twice

Thomas Aquinas - Only excerpts. I intend to do a more comprehensive reading in the future.

Augustine - I have read Confessions and City of God

Tertullian - Not yet but I intend to

While I do not agree with Bloom about many things, IMHO he is far from an idiot. I find his arguments very well reasoned and backed up by facts or refrences.

I try not to label people as idiots even when I do not agree with them. When we go down that road it leads to all sorts of name calling that is so unpleasant and does not get anyone anywhere.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”