• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Thomas Pynchon Gravity's Rainbow

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Thomas Pynchon Gravity's Rainbow

Unread post

Thomas Pynchon: Gravity's Rainbow , I started this book about a year ago and got side tracked by other reading, so I only
made it about three chapters in ,I bought it based on the title alone as the author was unknown to me.No one I know has read it either,I picked it up again the other day and made it through a few more pages of chapter three, so I'm entering the zone.I say simply , this is one strange story.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: Thomas Pynchon Gravity's Rainbow

Unread post

I have this book on my shelf. I've been meaning to read it for about 10 years and I purchased it last year to help get me closer toward that goal. So far, no luck! I am not even certain why I've not started it. I am interested in it based on a recommendation a friend made to me - he recommended another author who I read and loved. But this book he wasn't as certain about and I've heard Pynchon can be quite dense and unreadable. I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it - maybe I will finally dust it off and read it!
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

This is a great book and well worth the effort. It is a challenging read, however.

I will make a recommendation. While I usually do not advise that one read an analysis or criticism of a work before or during the reading of the work, this book is an exception.

Gravity's Rainbow contains so many bizarre, obscure and seemingly unfathomable references, that I would strongly encourage anyone giving it a try to use one of several companion works of annotation and analysis. I used Steven Wiesenburger's "A Gravity's Rainbow Companion" and throughout my reading. It sheds light on so much that one would otherwise miss. It made the unintelligible understandable. I believe that there are several other sources of page by page help, including Thomas Pynchon Wiki here:

http://gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki.com ... =Main_Page

It has been a few years since I read the book, however I recall thinking that it brilliantly expressed the paradox of modern thought, culture, society and technology and how these factors seem (falsely?) to promise the salvation of mankind while at the same time threatening our annihilation. Sort of a modern "Macro - Frankenstein".
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Emperorbjt wrote:Gravity's Rainbow contains so many bizarre, obscure and seemingly unfathomable references, that I would strongly encourage anyone giving it a try to use one of several companion works of annotation and analysis.
I agree. I spent an entire summer savoring this book. It is difficult and can be frustrating. The companion books may prevent you from tossing is across the room. For anyone new to Pynchon, I would recommend reading, "The Crying of Lot 49" first to get a feel for his writing style. It is a fraction of the length of "Gravity's Rainbow" and the topic is much lighter.

Pynchon writes in threes. Most of the passages in his books contain, not just one, not just two, but three levels of meaning. He chooses his words very carefully, and he makes the reader work.

Bombs explode in "Gravity's Rainbow", bombs explode each time a particular man has an erection. How is that for a teaser?
reader2121
Experienced

Unread post

Heller said one doesn't really "read" Gravity's Rainbow. One studies the book.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

I also have been procrastinating on this one. How about making it our next fiction read?
reader2121
Experienced

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:I also have been procrastinating on this one. How about making it our next fiction read?
Gravity's Rainbow???

Ugh, I'm waiting for the nursing home.

How 'bout Dick and Jane first.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

I've been saving War and Peace for the nursing home. LOL
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I see I've dog eared page 303, its been a while since I've done any reading on this thing.

I'll try and spend some time reviewing what I've already read and maybe get some fresh pages in.

Who knows, I may just finish this book before too long. Four years doesn't seem like to much procrastination does it?.

What stuck in my head was a strange sexual encounter between a Nazi and a Dominatrix.

Nazi's and Dominatrix's; didn't Mel Brooks do a song and dance about that?

The interesting part will be discovering if taking this book off the used book store shelf was a premature thing to do.

I shall do my best and keep you all informed of my progress.

Countdown to 2018, and please no spoilers.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”